Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door supports (impact bar)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door supports (impact bar)

Door supports(impact bars)Does anybody now a trick to getting them out? I know I can cut them out or try to un-bolt them, but just checking if there is another way? Do they act as a support for the doors which are composite plastic? Will the door sag if removed? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

the door will not sag however, the safety beams are a key part of the structure. in the event of an impact the car will act as if there are no doors. i would advise against it. i work at a body shop and know for a fact those beams save lives. ive seen collisions where the saftey beam was the only thing that stopped the other car from entering the passenger compartment. even in a drag car if you hit the guard rail just right it could be deadly. im guessing this is for weight reduction. the beams couldnt weigh more than 5lbs.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Yea it's for weight reduction! They weight 8lbs. each, but your probably right about leaving them. I had the same concerns when thinking about it. Thanks bulldogSS.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going with a full cage in an all-out track car, then feel free to remove the door posts. You definitely need some metal between you and any potential impact sources, though. For racing in the CMC[2] class, I have seen 4th gens that have the door panels completely cut apart with nothing left but the outer shell and sides/bottom. The cars that have that done are running a full cage.

Quick Reply: Door supports (impact bar)