Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Job Prices T/A owners come on in

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job Prices T/A owners come on in

Hey guys haven't really been on the appearance section very much not really about looks more about speed but i just bought a mystic teal T/A and the paint is fading on the front bumper and passenger door and quarter panel was wondering how much a paint job would run me not looking for a car show quality just something to make it shine again. Also where can i find a predator or superhawk hood and how much will it run me? thanks for all the help guys in advance and by the way no body work needs to be done just a paint job
Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here is a few issues.

1) Paint's ability to Blend- Since for the majority of cars are all painted one time, one shot with the same batch of paint it looks fine. There have definitly been times factory cars have had paint miss matching due to the fact that one part, was painted somewhere else with maybe a slightly diff paint mix etc etc.

Some paints are harder to blend if they are metallic in their base or like your paint has what I call a "grain" and it can be painted, but it's ability to match and look right gets hard.

*** Since you want to paint in diff areas on the car a full repaint would be warrenteed

2) When painting more then just a bumper: Once you do a bumper and lets say a hood, the rest of the front clip needs to be done and it needs to blend properly. Having head light covers and fenders being off will make the whole car look like crap. So with what

3) My Advice: take it to a good shop, that you have seen their quality of work. Get quotes on different jobs and their opinion of getting the paint to blend. When doing a hood, they should be fitting it and that is labor intensive, especially if it is a aftermarket fiberglass peice.

4) I would expect a decent paint job with clear coat it be about 4,000-5,500 Not including much body work. IF your adding a hood expect another 1k on top of that. Mind you really paint jobs can be over 10k.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took in my wife's TA to have a hood done, door replaced (fiberglass cracking and causing door to sag after the car was bumped by a drunk) and to fix a spot that the car was keyed by one of her ex-boyfriends. Basically the two front fenders, hood, front bumper, and whole passenger side of the car are being repainted. The cost for this and other minor fixes is going to cost close to $4k. For a full all around good quality paint job I would expect it to be closer to the 6 - 7k range if they change out all your seals and as long as there isn't any major body work.

Like the above poster did mention though there will always be blending issues. Metallics are obviously the hardest and if you look close enough at most cars you can see where blending was done or not done. I had my GTP hood and fenders repainted after the wife hit a deer and at first I could see the pattern of how the hood was spraying if I looked closely. Now after polishing and waxing the car it almost all looks factory.

It just comes down to one more thing of you get what you pay for. If you want a show quality job done expect to pay a pretty penny. If you want a Maaco style one done, don't expect to be too happy in the end.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my WS.9 hood fitted, painted, as well as fenders and head light covers and blended. Came out near factory. Some of the best work I have seen, Paid about 1,600$ due to labor and realigning the fenders to the hood and fenders to door ect ect.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=551
Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a few prices ranging from $3,000-$6,000.

I realized that the $4,000-$6,000 places are utterly ridiculous. Thats just dumb to pay that much for a paint job. I'm talking a single color, normal paint job. No crazy *** custom designs and effects.

I got a quote to paint my T/A for $3,200...including the engine bay.....but the man who is going to paint it is the legendary painter Cris Cruz. Can't get better than him. Best paint avialable and a double clear coat. Every job he does is show car quality.
http://www.chriscruz.com/