Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I got screwed can this be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I got screwed can this be fixed?

I was told the car didn't have any damage. Well after a fiasco with 3" of filler on the quarter but thats another story. but I took the bumper and fenders off and the parts that the fenders bolt onto are crumpled, no biggie those are a few spot welds. But the part the K-member bolts on to the pass side is totally torn out and crappily welded, not even welded it's just torn out. I'm guessing this means a core support or frame replace? I'm not familiar with framework can this section be replaced or welded? If you need pics I can get them but picture the where the main part of the k member bolts to frame is ripped out.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

It can be rewelded. You may have to drop the k-member a little there for access and then cut it out and drill a hole and weld a caged nut from the back side and then weld the patch back in. Pictures would help, however.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

need pics if the k member bolt was tore out you need to have the car put on a machine and measured sounds like a hard hit
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya what he said, holy crap if a bolt and cage nut was torn out of the frame rail, that car must have been creamed!!!!
we need pics to tell you what to do
Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks guys monday i'm gonna pull hte k member so i'll get ya some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you know if that frame rail can be replaced, does it bolt or weld in? I see you can get one from gm for like lil under $700 but I have a salvage yard that has between firebirds and camaros has like 10-12 f-bodies there. So if that frame rail can be replaced and not too much of a pain in the *** I can get a frame rail. Advise please, thanks alot guys. I'm gonna pull it apart monday to see what sup with it.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pavetim
Do you know if that frame rail can be replaced, does it bolt or weld in? I see you can get one from gm for like lil under $700 but I have a salvage yard that has between firebirds and camaros has like 10-12 f-bodies there. So if that frame rail can be replaced and not too much of a pain in the *** I can get a frame rail. Advise please, thanks alot guys. I'm gonna pull it apart monday to see what sup with it.
Yes it can be replaced but needs to be done by a skilled technician. Not saying you can not do it but your welding skills need to **** up!! The car needs to be on a frame machine and make sure it is square. I always like putting in frame rails when the car was anchored on the frame machine to keep everything square. They will move around some when you cut out the rail.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a pic of the damage. I know i'm gonna probably regret it but I got a salvage yard looking into prices to cut a section of frame out for me. I really don't look too bad to splice a piece in as long as I measure really good and keep the frame supported. I looked at it, don't looked like the k-member was ripped out looks like a torch or welded or something. i did some quick measurements don't look like the frames is bent just have to figure a way to fix those holes. They are on curves so might be hard for me to just weld plates in there. Any suggestions would help
Attached Thumbnails I got screwed can this be fixed?-pict0001.jpg   I got screwed can this be fixed?-pict0002.jpg   I got screwed can this be fixed?-pict0003.jpg   I got screwed can this be fixed?-pict0004.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

daaamn man that looks all fubar'd....i have some core support and a little frame rail damage on my car, in search of a good shop in my area (san jose) but nobody has many any suggestions...i guess there are no fbods in this area ive posted a few times in western section asking, no luck yet..........good luck man keep us posted!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

idk about the damage but I had a similar situation with my car when I bought it was told the car was never wrecked. Well to make a long story short I had a lady back into the side of my car a few years back. When I went to pick my car up from the body shop the guy who did the work said that it looks like this car has been damaged before huh. I told him I am the second owner of this car and the first one told me that it had never been. He told me judging by the filler used in the quarter and the damage he found in the door it had been before. And then I had them remove my door guards and it looks as if the drivers side was painted with them on once before.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

It looks like someone had a hard time getting the bolts out before and torched them. Doesn't look like the car sustained frame damage in that area from the pictures. You will be okay repairing that but "sleeve" the area. In other words don't just butt weld the new metal in there. Put a backing plate in first all around the area you are going to cut out and weld to. It will help reinforce the area since your engine cradle bolts up to it with a lot of stress.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats what I was gonna do is either put backing plates in there or some thick angles to help brace it. Just looks kind of hard cause it's curved there and i don't have equipment to shape metal. Have to see if I can at least cut out a straight part. But i'm gonna cut a section of frame out of a junk car tomorrow so should be able to get a good section to weld in if need be.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

check the other side and see if theres a hole in the frame in front of that bolt. i have repaired damage where tow trucks/ flat beds tear the whole out with a j hook or chain
Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah there is a hole, it's for the alignment stud on the k member. Why do you ask?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

the rest of the rail looks fine i bet the car was flatbeded or towed at one time and a hook slipped out and tore that pocket like that and the half assed it back together. i bet the owner didnt even know
Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naw he knew but not much I can do about it. I called when I was in afghanistan and he said no damage. then my gf looked at it and supposedly the other owner hit a deer, then I looked at it and it went in a ditch. I asked if there was any major damage besides the windshield and he said no. You can tell it has recently been torched or welded, and he put the 3" of bondo on the quarter to cover up the crushed quarter and rocker. So he knew about it. and the fender supports and top radiator supports are crumpbled. Not sure if that is gonna throw off body alignment so i'm gonna replace.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

if it was in a ditch they winched it out tore that bolt right out

Quick Reply: I got screwed can this be fixed?