Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fixing Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Rust

So I picked up my winter car, a little accord. It has some normal honda rust on the quater pannels. I was just seeing how I should go about fixing it. I plan on bondoing it. My plan was to first sand it with 100 grit. Then put in the bondo. Then sand about 200 grit, then move up to 500 grit. Then paint. Let me know what you guys think of this, and any writeup's or advise would be great because it is my first time doing this.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really like the car and plan on keeping it you are in for some work.
You could sand blast it or cut it out and weld/rivet in new metal.
Many times the rust is in between and behind the panels so it is difficult to get to so just sanding some off and covering it up will only be a temporary fix.

If it is only a winter car you might want to just leave it.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

dont waste your time and money just leave it alone.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't even waste my time with it, just an accord. if it breaks spend another 800$ on a car.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Have you considered POR 15 or RUST BULLET. RUST BULLET is amazing stuff. Just scrape away any surface rust and wirebrush it down. Then paint on the rust bullet and it will stop the rust from spreading and will convert it to a paintable surface. POR 15 is good too but RUST BULLET is a one part deal and is easier to use.

If you want it to look all pretty and stock its going to take alot tho. Like said above you will need to grind/cut/weld new pieces to fit and then go through all next steps to get it to look like factory. RUST IS A PITA to deal with. To do it right and prevent it from happening again it WILL cost more money then it will to buy a car that isnt rusted.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1Thirdgen91
Have you considered POR 15 or RUST BULLET. RUST BULLET is amazing stuff. Just scrape away any surface rust and wirebrush it down. Then paint on the rust bullet and it will stop the rust from spreading and will convert it to a paintable surface. POR 15 is good too but RUST BULLET is a one part deal and is easier to use.

If you want it to look all pretty and stock its going to take alot tho. Like said above you will need to grind/cut/weld new pieces to fit and then go through all next steps to get it to look like factory. RUST IS A PITA to deal with. To do it right and prevent it from happening again it WILL cost more money then it will to buy a car that isnt rusted.

Eastwood also has a rust converter along with a rust encapsulator.

Quick Reply: Fixing Rust