Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting my fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Painting my fiberglass hood

Got a quick question. I'm using PPG primer, base, and clear. I laid down 2 coats of primer and when I sanded it smooth one spot on the hood is showing a tiny bit of the fiberglass, and like half he corners are down to fiberglass (lol).

Can I just go to the base coat or is having some fiberglass showing going to mess it up long term?

I'm not going for show quality, if I was I wouldn't be painting it lol. But I just don't want to have bubbles forming in 6 months. I would rather not go for another primer coat...

Thanks, Dave.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by David_viny
Got a quick question. I'm using PPG primer, base, and clear. I laid down 2 coats of primer and when I sanded it smooth one spot on the hood is showing a tiny bit of the fiberglass, and like half he corners are down to fiberglass (lol).

Can I just go to the base coat or is having some fiberglass showing going to mess it up long term?

I'm not going for show quality, if I was I wouldn't be painting it lol. But I just don't want to have bubbles forming in 6 months. I would rather not go for another primer coat...

Thanks, Dave.
you need to cover the spots that went through.you could either spot prime,spot seal or seal entire hood(best method).you really should seal entire hood anyways prior to top coat(base).
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Teching In

This depends on the color of primer and base you are using. I agree the best way is to seal it all before you paint although i have painted cars with primer and then went straight to the base. If you are using a dark color for you base i.e. black, dark gray, ect. and there is no preal in it you should be ok as long as you do two or more coats. I also have spot primed then painted but you have to be careful and prep the spot primer just like you do the rest of the car and a lot of times you will go right through it during the prep so your back to square one.

Quick Reply: Painting my fiberglass hood