Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wrecked the baby tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrecked the baby tonight.

It's too dark to take pics, but I will need to replace the driver's fender, driver's side mirror (p), and buff out some scuff marks down the driver's side from my mirror scraping the car as it flew off. Any body work guys know a rough guesstimate of damages before I get pics up tomorrow? Mainly fender and mirror, trying to decide if it would be better to get my own parts off ebay and take them into the shop with me.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Hey man. Sorry to hear bout what happened. Im no body repair expert or anything but I got into kinda the same situation u did a few months ago. I shopped around alot and got prices and from my research you DO NOT want to get the body parts from a dealer nor a body shop b/c they're gonna mark it up ALOT. Your best bet is to get it from either Ebay or Craigslist. I got a front bumper for my ws6 for bout $150 from some mexican lol. and found a fender on ebay for $100... The pontiac dealership around here quoted me $750 for a new bumper cover and $300 for a fender . So if ya shop around you never know what kinda deals you can find. I'll even get ya started... go to ebay and hit the link http://stores.ebay.com/Contemporary-...34Q2ec0Q2em322. O yea if the tech admin sees this and thinks im tryin to hock my parts on fellow users... shove it, cause i dont have ANY affiliation. Again, sorry to hear bout the car man. But wish ya the best of luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^ i agree. i too found myself in a similar situation this past may. fell asleep and ran off the freeway in my camaro. hit the metal guard rail and lost my driver side mirror, cracked the fender and door all up, and had about a 5" dent in the quarter panel, and my rims got some curb rash looking scratches on them too. i picked up a mirror from a junk yard for like $30. i looked on ebay for the fender and door, but prices were too high to hget a door and have it shipped, checked some auto dissmantlers in the area and got a perfect door from another camaro, and the seller hooked me up with a brand new fender from another shop in the area, all for $350. and then i took all of that, and my new cowl hood down to the body shop. they fixed all the damage to the quarter panel, and installed all my new parts, and painted the whole car for $3000 total. so, id definitely recommend picking up the parts yourself and taking them to a shop. if they have to get the parts and all the price will probably be alot higher. lucky for you, you only need a new fender and mirror, the ENTIRE side of my car looked like hell.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, after wrecking this baby, my real baby was born and with everything else going on I think I'll just have insurance deal with it, I'm going to be pretty busy for awhile.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definately know the feelin of wreckin one of your most prized rides... fell asleep behind the wheel about 1/2 a mile from home at 2am one night bout a year or so ago.. nailed a mail box trashin the back of my stock hood and scratched up the windshield. Got lucky and the mailbox bounced over the rear of the car so no damage there. All in all, it gave me the chance to get my new hood. The bumper wasnt even damaged.. just had some scrape marks from impact.. was easily sanded/repainted. While it was down at the shop I searched around for a Trans Am hatch. I had found one that was used off a 94 model Trans Am but was missing the glass.. I had them swap out the hatches and switch my stock glass into the 94 hatch. I had never been so happy to wreck a car in my whole life!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Teching In

If you are patient, you can find them here or online in the same color !!! so if you don't have any damage to the frame, you can swap them yourself and expend about $400 Total
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kain01
It's too dark to take pics, but I will need to replace the driver's fender, driver's side mirror (p), and buff out some scuff marks down the driver's side from my mirror scraping the car as it flew off. Any body work guys know a rough guesstimate of damages before I get pics up tomorrow? Mainly fender and mirror, trying to decide if it would be better to get my own parts off ebay and take them into the shop with me.
so your saying you want to pay out of your own pocket right??? thats fine, but your still going to pay money to have the parts installed and painted, and shops charge to buff too, i know the ones i worked for in the past have and the one i work for now does too

and remember there is always more damage when the car is torn down, it may look like just a fender to the untrained eye, but to us we know there is always more damage so be prepared for a call from a shop telling you we found more damage

and no i cant give you a estimate, every shop is different and different labor rates, and i dont have acsess to the estiamting system, so i cant, go to shops and get estiamtes you will see its not going to be cheap
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car's home, looks great. Came out to be about 2700, but they found some damage from a previous wreck that was definitely not on the carfax. He said there was some rust forming on the unibody frame and that it needed to be stretched and realigned. Probably looking at another 1000, maybe a bit more to stretch and clean up the rust area, then repaint that area of the frame.

Anyway, I'll post up pictures tomorrow since the place detailed my car for me, and it looks better than it has in quite awhile.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the baby tonight.