Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fiberglass guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fiberglass guys come in

Well i need some input on how to do my next custom body mod since i have yet to play with fiberglass. Up to this point i've molded my RS body kit, smoothed out my rear facia and fixed the rear 1/4 so i'm not to scared to just jump in and try things and i don't give up until it's perfect.

My question-
I'm wanting to cut the two pilars off of my LS1 ss spoiler (aftermarket one piece spoiler) and smooth it out like they were never there. I know i will need to use fiberglass strips to fill in the holes and gain the structure and strenth, and top it off by laying a thin layer of bondo to smoth everything out.

But what i'm wanting to know is what am i looking to get as far as material goes and what is the best way to do this, one pilar at a time or just wack them off and go to town?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still don't know your exact question, but IMO the stock spoiler looks great, I'd leave it alone. Sounds like alot of work for something that may not turn out looking right.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

But what i'm wanting to know is what am i looking to get as far as material goes and what is the best way to do this, one pilar at a time or just wack them off and go to town?

I think the spoielr is very over played and want to change it.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done fiberglass before?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

No but i'm about to learn!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
No but i'm about to learn!
I'd say take your time, and do a few "how to fiberglass" searches on google. I'm sure you will find more info, and step by step with pics from people who have good experiance with that kind of work.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LT1 SS spoiler doesn't have the posts so that might be a place to start.

Edit- Found a pic, not sure whos car, just a google search.

Last edited by McNord; 11-22-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
The LT1 SS spoiler doesn't have the posts so that might be a place to start.
yeah i tride trading my spoiler for a while for a LT1 ss spoiler and couldn't get the deal sealed so now it's time to cut this one up
Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in that case I would just go ahead and cut them both off at the same time, you will already be commited by then lol. If you haven't done any fiberglass before and you aren't planning on doing a whole lot I would suggest going to an auto parts store and getting a "repair" kit to get started. It should come with plenty of material, resin, & hardner. Also invest in some INEXPENSIVE paint brushes, they will be "throw aways". You will also need a couple of spreaders, same ones you would use with body filler. There should be more than enough material to practice on something first to get an idea of resin to hardner ratio depending on your weather conditions, and also figure out what you are doing with all the material and get your techinque down.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use fiberglass resin and fiber glass cloth, use cheap $.88 paintbrushes from walmart to apply resin, gloves are advised because fiberglass resin burns/itches, fiberglass is hard to sand down to try to get it as smooth as possible
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

if it was me... id take it off the car...
cut the posts off.... now your left with 2 holes you need to fill...biggest mistake armatures do is just slap the old fiberglass and mat over it... but your left with a big high messy spot.... that's not even strong.... it doesn't need to be super strong just enough not to flex to crack the paint.

id get a router (used for wood) most glass company would have this or could do it for you.... and make a grove all way around the hole, (like the back of a empty picture r mirror frame.... that way you can fill in the hole with a panel and its will sit flush or lower then the wing giving you room to fill it in with clear resin and sanding it smooth. I haven't used a router on a fiberglass wing but it should cut it ok in theory,,, if not do some glassing to fill the "chip outs".
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

I was going to use my dremel and cut the pilars off and then make a lip kinda like your talking about so it's not just straight down it will have a step to hang on to.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

just a thought you could mount guns or something in the holes or just use it for a garbage can to hold your trash hehe or stash haha.