Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wet Sanding Black Paint? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wet Sanding Black Paint? Help?

I just got a 2000 Black z28 that runs great, but there are some exterior problems. The car has been repainted sometime before I got it and overall the paint looks "OK" and even, but there is orange peel in areas.

I was wondering if wet sanding was safe for black paint and what products are good to use? OR if it is safer to just claybar and buff it out?

This is my first black car so I am not sure on what products to use ?????
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some 1500 or 2000 grit wet or dry.. I like 1500 cuts faster but be careful..I really really like the 3M "Perfect-it" products. I had about 8 or 9 hrs in sanding and buffing mine before I repainted it..but Orielys or most local parts stores carry the 3M stuff. I use the extra cut with the wool pad and the swirl mark remover (grey) and use it with the grey foam pad. Then finally go over it with the blue foam pad and blue compound. I go over with the grey pad twice..to make sure I got the swirls out fromthe wool..then go slow with the blue..PM if you need anymore tips..its the best stuff to use for black..many many body shops use it..and Iv done a lot of black show cars and NEVER had a complaint!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.detailandstripes.com/new3mpe30uls.html

That gives you most of the part numbers..
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it was repainted i would wet sand with allot of caution, ya dont know how much clear was put on, or the first time when it was sanded and buffed, sanding and buffing usally removes 1-1 1/2 coats of clear

i would do 1500, using soapy water, i like using soapy water, and i use a soft block for doing what you want to do, i would tape off the edges of the panles too, or just dont go to far to the edge when your sanding

do a small spot where the orange peel is, and buff it, see what it looks like, if you think you didnt burn through the clear then your all good
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good tips above... wetsanding is the way to remove the orange peel and will show fantastic results on black paint.

You want to wrap the paper on a soft sanding block and use short criss cross strokes. I like to have a hose set on trickle in my free hand to rinse away contaminents that could leave a scratch as I sand. Soapy water helps if the paper is sticking a lot, which is also how you can tell that the paint is getting very flat and time to check that high spots are gone by drying and looking for shiny spots. If you sand through the clear you will be very unhappy, and will need to have the panel re-cleared!

If you are wetsanding keep in mind you are going to need a rotary buffing machine to compound or your gonna be in a lotta pain!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

I would not use a wool pad if you are new to this, because it can remove alot of material in a hurry, the last thing you want to do is burn through a panel. Just take you time, and maybe do a test panel like bdyman said and see how you like the results
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Did you every use a buffer?? If not have a detail shop do your car for you..Spend the money & have it done right before you spend it on having it painted..

My .02
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

I have a buffer and have buffed my old green camaro a lot of times. I just am not sure if buffing is going to be enough in some areas for the black car I got.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try it on the spoiler first because I plan on putting an ss spoiler on anyways.

Its just that the car runs great and I want it to look as good as it sounds
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Teching In

i have a black camaro and have worked in body shops and im a painter and ur best bet if ur not really good at buffing is not to use a wool pad on a black car. nor should u use a air buffer if u have not had right much prac. bc u cant really mess some **** up and fast i might add. but if i was u i would try polishing it first n see what that does it wont take out the orange peel but it will look alot better, if u wanna get the orange peel out go with 1500 to start out with but dont go to far with it then go over that with 3000 grit wet paper then follow with a cutting cream and a cuttin pad on a buffer then last step u should use a polish or swirlmark remover and might need to do that step a few times. and i like using 3M's line of products
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will mess it up if you are buffing for your first time. I always use 1500 grit by hand with just water. You wet sand until you get a fairly even haze, a couple black dots here and there is fine. It's really not that hard once you get going, make sure you stay away from edges.

Here is my car after I buffed it, looked absolutely amazing.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YouRight07
i have a black camaro and have worked in body shops and im a painter and ur best bet if ur not really good at buffing is not to use a wool pad on a black car. nor should u use a air buffer if u have not had right much prac. bc u cant really mess some **** up and fast i might add. but if i was u i would try polishing it first n see what that does it wont take out the orange peel but it will look alot better, if u wanna get the orange peel out go with 1500 to start out with but dont go to far with it then go over that with 3000 grit wet paper then follow with a cutting cream and a cuttin pad on a buffer then last step u should use a polish or swirlmark remover and might need to do that step a few times. and i like using 3M's line of products
i agree start out with 1500 and then go over with 3000 makes buffing alot easier and a better finish
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

after the wet sanding what is best to use to get back the shine??
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did some dipping on line and found this. i though this was really helpfull and i hope this helps you out!!!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...ur-car-215972/
Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to discourage you , but u couls be opening a can of worms. DO ONE PANEL AT A TIME. PERIOD. Start to finish. That way if you ruin a panel the rest of the car has not been touched yet.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what they say in the video. u also could go to the junk yard and pic up a fender and try it on that first.

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding Black Paint? Help?