Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any ideas on why my silver paint came out too dark?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on why my silver paint came out too dark?

these pics are of a set of roush side skirts i painted. they ended up coming out too dark. compare them to the rest of the car.

one guy said it might've been because i didnt have the air pressure adjust right on my spray gun.

i used a light silver primer. then sprayed a tach coat, then 2 more normal coats. maybe i sprayed it too thick.. or only needed a tach coat and 1 normal coat?

looks real dark in this pic
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number of things..Clear coat, Air pressure, too many coats, to close when spraying..Thats Why I hate silver lol.. Could have even been mixed wrong or not shaken up enough...lots of things play a part..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just throwin' this out there, but it looks kinda good to me how it's a bit of a different shade.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

My geuss is the color was a differant alternate, silvers can be hard to match. Or if your last coat was to heavy the metallic will sink down in the base causing the paint to appear darker. If you decide to redo them spray a test panel but use a lite dust coat on your last coat to make the metallic even and it will sit on top of the base making it lighter in color
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

i'm using a 1 stage paint. brand is nason.
its possible that i didnt shake it up enough.
i painted the skirts twice. first time i had fisheye..but it was the right shade as far i can remember. the 2nd time i painted them.. quality was perfect besides the shade..it was shiny and no fisheye or any flaws.

how many coats should i spray with 1 stage? i did a light tach coat, then another coat..then another coat. so 3 coats all together. i waited a few seconds before i put that 3rd coat on. maybe i should just do a tach coat then one thick 2nd coat and stop.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

That's your problem useing a single stage with metallic colors is very hard to get to look right because to make it lay down good you have to put on a heavy coat which in turn makes the metallic sink in appearing dark. If you try again follow your same steps but try putting a lite coat on right after your last heavy coat to get the flake to sit on top. Plus nason has no alternates just one formula which makes it easy to get a bad match. Your best bet is to sand them down and base clear them.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

IMHO metallic silvers should all be sprayed at the same time ...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Metallic paints are nearly impossible to match without blending on adjacent panels.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe paint your hood, the spoiler and those ugly *** things behind your doors the same color and call it a day. It would look like you meant to do it. On a serious note, redo it. That's like sending a person out from the dentist getting braces with crooked teeth.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Metallic silvers are next to impossible to match without blending. Especially using a single stage because you can't even out the metallic flakes to match the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

one guy told me to take my gas door off and have the paint shop match it up.. would that help?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Perfect way to ruin an amazing car :/

Consider it a sign from God that you need to replace the factory side skirts back on.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

i have a roush front bumper to match.. my goal was to make a roush cobra. theres a only a few. i only know of 2. everything can come off anytime.. im keeping all of the original cobra parts. im tired of the stock cobra look.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Then change up the wheels man.. do something else besides that hideous roush body kit..
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

base and clear it.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone else mentioned it. You need to base clear, you can't or should I say SHOULDN'T of used a single stage metallic paint. Base coat is made to be dusted on, it shouldn't ever be wet, especially metallic's.

Also, go to dealership and look at some of the lighter color cars (silvers, whites, grays, yellow, light green etc. 99% of the bumpers are going to be off a shade. Plastic bumpers don't come out the same as the metal quarters and fenders. Even straight from the factory.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Yes, take the gas cap to the paint store and have them match it. It will be very close, maby right on. Or you can take it to a good painter and have him match it and maby even paint it for you. Do it in base clear, you can sand and buff without getting into the color.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

i'll try to use base/clear next time. i'm sure it costs more. maybe not. right now i been using 1 stage.. so i'm puying the paint, then the activator that makes it shiney. my paint jobs come out shiney..its just that silver isnt coming out the right shade. i agree its probably the metallic. would the primer effect it at all? i been using a light grey primer.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't understand. Metallic base coats are MADE to be dusted on. That is the main reason its darker. You flooded the metallic together, reason its darker.

Single stage has clear in it. The "activator" you put in it was hardner, not the "shiney stuff"

The primer has nothing to do with it, speaking of, why did you prime it in the first place?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Silver is about one the hardest colors to match even when your doing everything correctly . Your gonna have quite an uphill battle trying get a 1 stage process to match your factory 2-stage silver . Last time I had a small repair made to drivers door with a Sebring Silver car, painted the entire door and mirror , blended 1/2 back into the 1/4 panel and 1/2 into the front fender . Then cleared the entire rear 1/4 , door and front fender .

Quick Reply: Any ideas on why my silver paint came out too dark?