Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how to prevent getting in trouble for painting without a license?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to prevent getting in trouble for painting without a license?

any ideas?

i dont want to get fined and i have a neighbor 2 houses down that i dont get along with.

what things can i not get in trouble for?
like theres no crime against sanding a car down and taping the windows off.

and how can i make it look like i dont do my own painting. they cant really prove i was painting unless they came to my house and paint fumes were still in the air. or if had paint mixed up right? i can say i buy my own paint for my painter to use.

to keep them off my butt.. should i just not push a car out of my garage until i remove the tape from the windows? anything else? if i say i had it painted by someone else, will they really investigate and want a name and number?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

i havent heard that itsillegal to paint a car at your house but maybe it is.
if your neighbor gets that nosey tell his the shop info is on your ***** and he can see it when he wants lol.
he had no right to want so much info from you tell him to **** off.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as i know, it's not illegal to paint a car inside your garage.

i do know in some areas there are ordinances that, if you are working on your car in the street you could get hasseled for that. OR if you have an HOA and they say "non-running" being worked on in the driveway/street is against HOA guidelines, you might get hasseled.

i believe you are thinking way to much into this. i understand C.Y.A., but your car, your house, your business, so paint away!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

a guy behind my house.. got reported for painting in a big garage he has. the neighbors complained of overspray getting on there cars and house.

i keep my garage completely shut and use no fans. i know u probably aint suppose to. but i dont get no overspray on the car i'm painting. so the hell with fans. gravity gun and a good mask and i'm good to go.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

WTF. . . . You have some shitty neighbors that would snitch on someone painting their car. . . .

******* tard *** people. . . .

I guess I would get pissed if the over spray was hitting my car. . . . But, I doubt that's gonna happen.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mail man said he was going to report me for the fumes & I just laughed & said "to who? haha" That was about 6 months ago & I haven't heard another word about it.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
My mail man said he was going to report me for the fumes & I just laughed & said "to who? haha" That was about 6 months ago & I haven't heard another word about it.
Nord, you serious? WTF Man..lol
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Nord, you serious? WTF Man..lol
Sad but true....
Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Lame *** ******* people. . . . ****, some ******* just don't have anything else to worry about. . . . . .

I see anyone doing **** that doesn't concern me, it's not my issue. . . . . I have enough problems of my own.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You should be able to run an exhaust fan if you filter it huh? That shouldnt let out any overspray I wouldnt think...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to get in trouble with anyone it's code enforcement. If I were you , I'd prep the car with the door closed, or mostly closed so that no one has any forewarning. Then make paint day a weekend since CE works 8-5 M-F. Once it's done the worst that will likely happen even if your whole street complained is get a warning.

BTW use a fan or you'll choke even with a mask.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

well the over spray would really **** me off if it got on my car but if theres a good distance between your garage and where your they park there cars i dont see it being an issue.
my 03 black benz was at the dealer and they had a body shop on there lot and my car was parked near there and when i picked up my car(after 3 weeks)there was a lot of over spray on the rear drivers side and even on my left rear wheel but a clay bar got it off but a made the dealer give me the service's i did free lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Just paint it late at night when there in bed !!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Here in Missouri you don't need a license to paint, aslong as you don't get overspray on other peoples stuff it's not illegal. Just use good filters and you should have no problems
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I don’t believe that it’s illegal as long as it’s not a business. It is illegal on the other hand on how you dispose of the paint, clear, solvents and such. You don’t want to get caught throwing that in your trash can. Don’t quote me but a scratch and dent guy down here in w palm got pinched for I believe 13,000 dollars but he was doing entire cars in an old parking lot. Now there is always a way around that also. Don’t throw away ANY liquid, meaning when all is painted and you’re finished. What ever you have left over let it dry up so that it will no longer release any VOC’s. Now it’s no longer toxic. You will want to save your reducers and thinners but if you get caught or if any spills you could get whacked with a Haz Mat spill and that won’t be cheap.. Oyeah, get a couple of fans and filters man you don’t want that crap getting into your house…
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Broadway
Just paint it late at night when there in bed !!
i was gonna say the same thing. A buddy of mine used to paint cars in his garage late at night while people were sleeping so nobody ever really knew about it. He did it for years before opening his own business.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

but..ppl are gonna know whats up when a couple of freshly painted cars are parked out front.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly.com
but..ppl are gonna know whats up when a couple of freshly painted cars are parked out front.
Yeah, they are going to know that you just got them back from being painted.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think there is anything illegal about it, but the neighbor that got reported could have some legal issues if he continued to paint cars knowing that his over spray and exhaust would likely damage his neighbors property. As long as you take steps to keep the paint on just your stuff you should be ok.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

true.. so most likely it was his fans causing the overspray to goto the neighbors.

like i said previously.. i dont use fans.. and my panit jobs come out with no overspray like that.. so if anything did get overspray it'd be the inside of the building and the vehicle.

Quick Reply: how to prevent getting in trouble for painting without a license?