Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear coat peeling need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clear coat peeling need opinions

Ok so as the title states the clear coat is peeling on my hood. So Im guessing I have to respray it just wanted to know what is every thing I would need to buy to do this , because im just going to pull it off and buy every thing and do it my self being that its only the hood and not the whole car. Like where are some places I can buy some pretty good paint its just the factory black. and some clear coat. And how should I go about getting the old paint off? I was just going to clean it up and sand it down just wanted to know if im heading in the right direction or does it sound more like i have no clue?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

And the paint im looking for is the factory black but wanted to know how much would I be looking at for the materials no im not looking for the cheapest but not looking for somthingthats going to break the bank just want it to look better then it does now.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

You will need a orbital air sander, 180 grit sand paper, and urethane primer to repair the peeled clearcoat issue. Start by sanding off ALL of the clearcoat, blow/tack the hood off and apply 2 coats of Urethane primer. Next you will need to wet sand the cured primer with a hard block and 400-600 grit sand paper. If you plan on just painting the hood without a sealer do not break through the primer otherwise you will need to expoxy seal the panel before the paint is applied. Paint can be bought at Levine's or any local paint/autobody supplier. Good Luck and you will need a very clean enviornment to get good results out of this. Your probably looking at $150+ in materials to do the job right
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info sounds like a very good price. Sounds alot better then I would have paid to a shop.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADLS2CAD
You will need a orbital air sander, 180 grit sand paper, and urethane primer to repair the peeled clearcoat issue. Start by sanding off ALL of the clearcoat, blow/tack the hood off and apply 2 coats of Urethane primer. Next you will need to wet sand the cured primer with a hard block and 400-600 grit sand paper. If you plan on just painting the hood without a sealer do not break through the primer otherwise you will need to expoxy seal the panel before the paint is applied. Paint can be bought at Levine's or any local paint/autobody supplier. Good Luck and you will need a very clean enviornment to get good results out of this. Your probably looking at $150+ in materials to do the job right
X2 and good luck
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hould I use a chemical stripper first to try and get the old clear and paint off before sanding it?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't, it will be much easier to just sand it off, the chemical stripper will take off more than you need
Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok will do. and about the paint and stuff whats up with the hardner and thinners or what ever it is like how do I know find out how to mix the stuff?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any guns? Air compressor? Inline filter to filter the water out of the lines so it doesn't go into your paint?

Painting isn't something you just pick up in a day, same with sanding, I would put more than 2 coats of primer cause I guarantee you will sand through since you are a noob (no offense) As for mixing, typically when you buy the primer, paint etc the person at the counter will ask if you need hardner etc.

IMO you are looking around 200 for materials. I would get some books from the library and start reading before you jump into this or have someone that knows what they are doing help you through.

I am not trying to lecture you, but I know what it is like ******* up a paint job and having to do it alllll over again. IT sucks! Take you time and post up any questions...

hope that helps!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So how do u mix it with the hardner
Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADLS2CAD
So I bought some supplys and im geting ready to do this. So are you saying I should just sand off the clear coat then spray primer on top of the old base coat? or sand down to the old primer and then spray primer on that? Also in case I do sand down to much which type of expoxy seal would I need?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Mainly just sand off to the base coat. If the damage is past that it will need sanded down in the area's where it is bad. Then use high build primer in the areas to prevent low spots. Then block sand the hood after spraying a light coat of another color of primer for a guide coat.

If it has to be taken to metal. Then there will be more steps.

You how ever got it made on the hood. Try doing f-body bumpers with spider cracks. It all has to be sanded off and a clear pain in the rear.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks will do.

Quick Reply: Clear coat peeling need opinions