Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting car without clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting car without clear coat

I just had my ss spoiler and front bumper painted. It color didn't match because the car has been painted before. They didn't paint it stock color they went with a dark white not artic white. Now I have 2 whites on my car and I am getting the whole car painted. When he did spoiler and bumper he didn't use any clear. He said the paint he use don't need any clear, it has it mixed in. He also didn't use any primer before he painted it, said the same thing. The paint he use is ppg concept DCC. He said its top of the line and very expensive. Is it true that it don't need no primer or clear and is it top of the line. Now i want to get the whole car painted. Is that paint ok just tell him to add a few coats of clear over it. I will be doing all the prep he is just going to paint it. How do I make sure there's no orange peel.

Thank you for any info
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guy sounds like a retard. dont go back to him!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a industrial paint or something
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

DCC is a single stage paint so the clear coat is part of the paint. You would still need to primer it though. As for it being top of the line? I'm really not sure, but I prefer a basecoat/clearcoat compared to the single stage.

http://www.type2.com/library/body/primer.htm Read the last part about types of paint
Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for that info SXracer anybody got more info. After reading that I want a 2 stage. Do I have to primer the whole car or is that only if it is bare metal or as a filler. What brand paint to buy, ppg a good brand.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

ppg is a very good brand, thats all i use. as far as not using a primer, wouldnt recommend it. and stopping orange peel is how the paint is sprayed, most of the time there will be orange peel but you can sand and buff it to look like glass
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the top of the line claim. SS paints are better than they used to be and are often catalyzed urethane paints rather than the traditional enamels. They definitely have their place in certain applications, but aren't so great for others. As far as I know though base/clear is still a lot more durable and better for general use. Case in point: You could get away with painting your whole car single stage. White is a color that works fine with SS. For the reasons mentioned above though, I'd recommend against it. No primer though? that one I don't get. Was there already primer on the front end/spoiler? There should definitely be a primer of some kind used.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 06-10-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Single stages are often used in solid colors. Base/clear is def. the way to go due to the UV protection the clear has. The Painters here at my shop put a coat of clear on top of the SS.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

The spoiler may of had primer, it was grey and when I sand it hard started to see yellow and black. The front bumper I just wet sanded it and he painted it. I don't know if he was going to primer the car first. I I thought I was just going to wet sand then he was going to paint it like the bumper. I need to ask him. For the paint so it ok to use ss and add clear to it, how many coats will do 1, 2, 3. Sorry for all the ??? It just I know nothing about painting. I though it was prep, primer, base coat, clear coat, then buff. Then I find out about ss, no primer, I thought I was out of date new badass **** out. Let me just double check on tech. So wet sand, primer, ss then clear coat and buff for a nice shine.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

As to why he didnt prime the spoiler when he painted it I'm not sure. But when repainting a car... if you are just wet sanding down the existing paint and not breaking through anywhere there is no need to re-prime. AT MOST all that would be needed is to re-seal it with an epoxy primer/sealer such as PPG's DP90 or DP45. I stay away from single stage paints simply because the durability in BC/CC paints is much higher, and in my line of painting I dont settle for anything less. At this point in time, he(if you go back to him) should be able to just re-wet sand the car and spray some fresh artic white base over the car and re-clear it. And for the record, all single stage paint is catalized.. thats how it hold up. I also dont like it as much because it never has the same shine or depth as BC/CC.
All paint is going to have orange peel unless the time(and money) is taken to wet sand and buff it out. BUT it can drastically be reduced by the ability of the painter and the quality of equipment he chooses to use.
Good luck man, sorry he goofed up your car! Hope it gets fixed soon!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by unknown pontiac
The spoiler may of had primer, it was grey and when I sand it hard started to see yellow and black. The front bumper I just wet sanded it and he painted it. I don't know if he was going to primer the car first.He is probably going to do that because of the reason I mentioned in my previous post. I I thought I was just going to wet sand then he was going to paint it like the bumper.Yup... that should be correct. I need to ask him. For the paint so it ok to use ss and add clear to it, how many coats will do 1, 2, 3.I would not add clear TO the single stage... you could spray it over it... BUT single stage is more expensive than regular basecoat, so if you are spraying clear over it, dont waste your money by basing the car in single stage only to clear over it. Save your money and use basecoat followed up with clear. By doing SS/CC you are mixing systems which the paint was not designed for and COULD cause problems in the future. Not saying it will, but it COULD. Why take that chance with your money? Sorry for all the ???Don't worry about it! Thats why we are here to help! It just I know nothing about painting. I though it was prep, primer, base coat, clear coat, then buff.Typically you would be correct unless its a simple repaint and you can skip the priming portion, and just prep, base, clear, buff. The whole purpose of primer is to give good adhesion, so once that has been laid down you are good to go. So if the previous paint job has primer below it, there is no reason the re-prime because the fresh basecoat will adhere to the properly prepped clear. Then I find out about ss, no primer, I thought I was out of date new badass **** out. Let me just double check on tech. So wet sand, primer, ss then clear coat and buff for a nice shine.
I just posted my replys in bold so you can directly link them to your comments.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

What's a good paint to use. i going to use ppg artic white. What I am trying to say is there just one ppg artic white or are there many other. Beside ss and bc/cc. is the dp90 and dp45 one a primer the other a sealer or are they both primer and sealer mix together.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

There are two different options I know of for PPG (DBC and DBU), and there is actually also PPG's Omni line. I'm pretty novice with this stuff so mostly relaying stuff from others. I also don't know all of the technical differences so I'm not going to pretend to. I'll save that for one of the more knowledgeable guys like BdNflnc (I know this guy from another forum, believe me HE KNOWS HIS **** And I'm sure he'll correct me if I mislead you), but here is my very basic, non-technical understanding of the three.

DBC = nicest

DBU = ok stuff, not as well liked, but cheaper than DBC and some said they like the way it sprayed. Most say the finished product doesn't look as nice as DBC.

Omni = Not great stuff but ok for the money.

I forget what the exact price difference was when I priced out DBC vs Omni for my upcoming paint job, but it was small enough that I couldn't imagine why one would go with Omni for a car you want a really nice finish on. My full cost for materials with all DBC and an expensive color was around $720. Not bad at all IMO.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 06-11-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM

What's a good paint to use. i going to use ppg artic white. What I am trying to say is there just one ppg artic white or are there many other. Beside ss and bc/cc. is the dp90 and dp45 one a primer the other a sealer or are they both primer and sealer mix together.
Originally Posted by nighthawk15
There are two different options I know of for PPG (DBC and DBU), and there is actually also PPG's Omni line. I'm pretty novice with this stuff so mostly relaying stuff from others. I also don't know all of the technical differences so I'm not going to pretend to. I'll save that for one of the more knowledgeable guys like BdNflnc (I know this guy from another forum, believe me HE KNOWS HIS **** And I'm sure he'll correct me if I mislead you), but here is my very basic, non-technical understanding of the three.

DBC = nicest

DBU = ok stuff, not as well liked, but cheaper than DBC and some said they like the way it sprayed. Most say the finished product doesn't look as nice as DBC.

Omni = Not great stuff but ok for the money.

I forget what the exact price difference was when I priced out DBC vs Omni for my upcoming paint job, but it was small enough that I couldn't imagine why one would go with Omni for a car you want a really nice finish on. My full cost for materials with all DBC and an expensive color was around $720. Not bad at all IMO.
Artic white is the same... its all the same paint code. DBC is the top of the line PPG, and the Omni is essentially the same stuff but around half price. I use Omni when i can - such as solid colors like white, but when it comes to metallic colors I only use DBC.
(Insider note: Alot of Omni products get delivered in PPG labels and each shop has to cut the label off and install the Omni label. Omni is made by PPG.. yes, its not top shelf quality, but if you ever have to skimp on something, it is a safe bet to go with Omni, or Shopline - same thing.)
As for the Primer/sealers... they are both primer/sealers...the DP90 is black and the DP45 is white. What they are used for is giving a uniform base to spray the basecoat over. Just 1 or 2 coats of the sealer and let it flash, then you spray the base right over that. Its basically just a thinner/non-hi build primer, that provides excellent adhesion.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BdNflnc
Artic white is the same... its all the same paint code. DBC is the top of the line PPG, and the Omni is essentially the same stuff but around half price. I use Omni when i can - such as solid colors like white, but when it comes to metallic colors I only use DBC.
(Insider note: Alot of Omni products get delivered in PPG labels and each shop has to cut the label off and install the Omni label. Omni is made by PPG.. yes, its not top shelf quality, but if you ever have to skimp on something, it is a safe bet to go with Omni, or Shopline - same thing.)
As for the Primer/sealers... they are both primer/sealers...the DP90 is black and the DP45 is white. What they are used for is giving a uniform base to spray the basecoat over. Just 1 or 2 coats of the sealer and let it flash, then you spray the base right over that. Its basically just a thinner/non-hi build primer, that provides excellent adhesion.
Ooops yeah that's something I probably should have clarified. I was thinking like...different levels of paint quality not so much different codes/shades. For future reference, what would you say is the biggest difference between the Omni and the DBC? Quite honestly I pretty much went with DBC because it seemed to be unanimously recommended to me and is what my painter uses on his cars, so I know he's familiar with it. My paint isn't a solid color though.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
Ooops yeah that's something I probably should have clarified. I was thinking like...different levels of paint quality not so much different codes/shades. For future reference, what would you say is the biggest difference between the Omni and the DBC? Quite honestly I pretty much went with DBC because it seemed to be unanimously recommended to me and is what my painter uses on his cars, so I know he's familiar with it. My paint isn't a solid color though.
Omni is a step or 2 down from DBC, but it IS made by PPG so the quality is good.
The DBC line has more mixing toners than the Omni line, so if you are doing a color match and needing to blend, you will have better luck with the DBC line.
You are correct that the DBC line is higher quality. When it comes to quality you need to be more concerned with the quality of the clear coat because that is what is protecting the paint from UV rays, so the clear is going to protect the basecoat.
For example, it doesnt do any good to use top shelf quality basecoats and then top it with a cheap clear, because once the clear breaks down, the basecoat will go with it.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BdNflnc
Omni is a step or 2 down from DBC, but it IS made by PPG so the quality is good.
The DBC line has more mixing toners than the Omni line, so if you are doing a color match and needing to blend, you will have better luck with the DBC line.
You are correct that the DBC line is higher quality. When it comes to quality you need to be more concerned with the quality of the clear coat because that is what is protecting the paint from UV rays, so the clear is going to protect the basecoat.
For example, it doesnt do any good to use top shelf quality basecoats and then top it with a cheap clear, because once the clear breaks down, the basecoat will go with it.
Definitely makes sense.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

cool thank you guys, I am going to talk to him to day. I let you know what he says. That way you can tell me if its bs or ture what he says. I am going to tell him I want dbc and 3000 clear not the dcc ss
Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 AM

cool thank you guys, I am going to talk to him to day. I let you know what he says. That way you can tell me if its bs or ture what he says. I am going to tell him I want dbc and 3000 clear not the dcc ss
Go with at least the 4000 clear. the 3000 isnt really intended for complete paint jobs... its more of a spot repair clear.

And youre very welcome sir! I'm just happy to help people out whenever i can. I see enough bad paint jobs as it is that I just like to help prevent them anyway I can.

Quick Reply: painting car without clear coat