Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lowering seat mounting position?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lowering seat mounting position?

Just wondering if any of you guys that are really tall like me have successfully lowered the mounting position of the driver's seat. Where it is now, all the way down, I have to duck a little to keep my helmet from hitting the roof when I'm drag racing. AutoX isn't a big deal, as I usually take the t-tops off, but bumping my head is getting annoying

Anybody done anything like this, or just swap to an aftermarket seat? I don't really care about retaining the power adjustments and whatnot...
Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an answer yet, but plan on doing this to mine before the end of summer. If I sit up straigh and tall my hair touches the t-top, so I have no room for a helmet. I can slouch down enough to make it work for drag racing, but I want to get into road racing and that won't work there.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

I've had to modify the seat in every car I've ever owned. My current car (01 Mustang) I had to modify the track and the bottom of the seat. Now I have room for a helmet!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm designing a seat mount that will bolt down to the floor and bolt onto the seat. It won't be able to slide forward or back but since I'm the only one who drives her it won't matter. As of right now my seat is sitting on a pillow on the floor!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I am 6'5, and my dad is 6'8, and neither of us has any problems fitting in my 98 t/a. The car doesn't get raced, but I know I have about 5-6 inches of clearance above my head, so a helmet shouldn't be an issue. I just lean the seat back a little bit. Not to the point where it feels like I am laying down, but just enough that it's a somewhat relaxed position. I still have no problem reaching the wheel when I am driving with a bit of spirit.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ My problem is that I have a very tall seated height, and I like to sit relatively close to straight up when I'm driving, especially autoX, where I need to be up on the wheel and pedals. I'm straight up enough to where the crown of my helmet is about 3-4" in front of the roll hoop. If I lean back, or my head gets thrown back on a hard launch, my helmet hits that panel.

I'm going to likely take the seat out and take a look this weekend, and I'll update if I find anything promising.

Quick Reply: Lowering seat mounting position?