Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ebay ws6 hood, a review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay ws6 hood, a review

I recently purchased a cheap fiberglass hood on ebay and went and picked it up. This review is to tell about the fit, form, and professionalism of shop ONLY. This is to help other users decide on purchasing this hood based on fit and form only, PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS PRICE IN HERE!!!!!!

The “shop”- If you can call it that. It was basically just one male working in a 60’x40’ building fiber glassing hoods. I know VERY little about fiber glassing but it looked like he was working on about 10-12 hoods at once and really wasn’t paying much attention to detail. I was in a HUGE hurry when I arrived so I basically gave the hood a VERY quick glance to make sure there were no major imperfections. I then loaded the hood in myself and was on my way. (The hood wasn’t heavy but he didn’t even offer to help me load it)

The hood- Well when I arrived home and unloaded the hood I took some pictures. It had some imperfections to say the least. It looked like globs of fiberglass by the front scoops and the ram air holes themselves were poorly cut. Also none of the edges were smooth. Besides that the hood looked ok.

The work and fit- I wanted to get all the globs of fiberglass off and major imperfections before I took the car to get painted and test fitted it. I just did about an hour or so of wet sanding and did the following before test fitting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p3TVUzTuLw
All the original hardware from the OEM hood bolted up fine, though the bolts supplied with the fiberglass hood seemed low grade. The fit seems good to me and the gaps look ok. The only problem I have with the hood is that it “Bows” above the fenders about ½” on each side.

Conclusion- I will leave that up to you. I just hope this helps someone else on their decision. If there is anything you have questions about or need pictures of anything just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay ws6 hood, a review-1.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-2.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-3.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-4.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-5.jpg  

Ebay ws6 hood, a review-6.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-7.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-8.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-9.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-10.jpg  

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 08-14-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i found an oem hood that was damaged you goy your work cut out for you it doesnt even have the lines around the nostrils
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, my bro's hood does the samething
Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can cheat the fenders up a little in the middle to match the bow in the hood.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by toplessho
you can cheat the fenders up a little in the middle to match the bow in the hood.
details !!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a ebay hood, you can't expect good fit just like that from a crap hood lol.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
details !!!!
Remove the bolts that hold fender on,slot the holes downward at the center of the bolt,
push fender up and reinstall bolts.
Normally when something fits like this you would call it a reject.
If youre that close I would drive car to the guy and have him look.
It sounds like the mold wasnt true and "moved" due to heat from use.
A good mold will have alot of bracing to prevent such a "move".
Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Not really that close, a 4 hour drive each way. I will mess around with the fenders and see how close I can get it before I get in contact with him.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear ya got ripped like that, I'd want my money back. I woudn't take that hood for free.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Well I went out today and did some more sanding and did some aligning work with the fenders. It lines up very good now. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. Hood looks like it might have some promise.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

In all honesty, it IS about price vs quality... I'm gonna guess, and say you gave somewhere around $400 bucks for that hood, given the quality of it compared to others that are similarly priced, I say it was just fine. It's obviously not the quality of an oem hood, and neither is the price for that matter.

Hell, I fully expectcto pay $500 for a vfn or harwood hood, and still have to do a sizeable amount of prep and alignment before it looks right. Just so long as I don't spend the same (or more) in labor and materials to get one to fit like an oem piece, I'm fine with it.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
In all honesty, it IS about price vs quality... I'm gonna guess, and say you gave somewhere around $400 bucks for that hood, given the quality of it compared to others that are similarly priced, I say it was just fine. It's obviously not the quality of an oem hood, and neither is the price for that matter.

Hell, I fully expectcto pay $500 for a vfn or harwood hood, and still have to do a sizeable amount of prep and alignment before it looks right. Just so long as I don't spend the same (or more) in labor and materials to get one to fit like an oem piece, I'm fine with it.
I agree it is about price vs quality, but a this a non sponsor product so we are not allowed to give the price or thread will be locked. I forgot about this thread actually, I will go snap some more quick picture so you can see the fit now.

Like I said earlier I did work on the fitting some more and did some more sanding. I have spend about 2 hours total on this hood. 1 hour sanding and 1 hour working on the fitting.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

I bought a cheap hood of hoods4sale on ebay and it was junk. After fixing all the imperfections and painting it, it started bubbling up even more after the final product. It also doesn't even line up good. Honestly, save yourself the time and just buy a good quality hood. You won't regret it.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
I agree it is about price vs quality, but a this a non sponsor product so we are not allowed to give the price or thread will be locked. I forgot about this thread actually, I will go snap some more quick picture so you can see the fit now.

Like I said earlier I did work on the fitting some more and did some more sanding. I have spend about 2 hours total on this hood. 1 hour sanding and 1 hour working on the fitting.
So here is a question, and I hope the montior is watching. What is the point of a forum is you cant mention problem products? If you bought a crap hood then you should say hey I got (insert name here) hood and it sucked. So what if they are not a sponser. It makes no sense. THis is where we come to answer questions and get answers.

I for one bought a CERTI-FIT hood and it sucked, but I only spent 300 bucks. I have had alot of customers come in with other brands ranging from VFN to Cervini to uncle joes backyard fiberglasser. All needed some work others just need more.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
So here is a question, and I hope the montior is watching. What is the point of a forum is you cant mention problem products? If you bought a crap hood then you should say hey I got (insert name here) hood and it sucked. So what if they are not a sponser. It makes no sense. THis is where we come to answer questions and get answers.

I for one bought a CERTI-FIT hood and it sucked, but I only spent 300 bucks. I have had alot of customers come in with other brands ranging from VFN to Cervini to uncle joes backyard fiberglasser. All needed some work others just need more.
I didn't give the specific name of who I purchased it from, but I did say it was the cheap hoods on ebay. One simple search on ebay and you got it. But to be specific it was Hoods4sale.

Here are the updated pictures that I have been promising.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay ws6 hood, a review-11.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-12.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-13.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-14.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Here are some update pictures after the car was painted.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay ws6 hood, a review-15.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-16.jpg   Ebay ws6 hood, a review-17.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Can't tell that its not OEM from the picks....

Looks good, if your happy with it thats all that really matters... maybe a little more elbow grease to make it fit but it looks good. I got lucky with my OEM WS6 hood... otherwise i would have bought a knock off too.

Good work!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hartje
Can't tell that its not OEM from the picks....

Looks good, if your happy with it thats all that really matters... maybe a little more elbow grease to make it fit but it looks good. I got lucky with my OEM WS6 hood... otherwise i would have bought a knock off too.

Good work!
Thanks. Yes I am more than happy with the hood, it turned out great IMO.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Out here in CA I can pickup ws6 hoods for $250. I know a guy who works at true fiber; I bought my hood from him and it looks and fits great, I am just getting ready to ship my car to the paint shop. Your hood looks good though.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Came out good after the work you put into it..

Quick Reply: Ebay ws6 hood, a review