Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Amt. of labor involved in prep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amt. of labor involved in prep?

I just saw the color I want to paint my car. How much work is involved in a paint job? Can I get away with wetsanding or would you prime the entire car?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yagrljnfehc
I just saw the color I want to paint my car. How much work is involved in a paint job? Can I get away with wetsanding or would you prime the entire car?
its alot of work. does it need body work? pretty much any area that doesnt need bodywork you can sand with 400 grit wet (or higher), seal and paint.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well considering the old saying your paint job is only as good as your prep job....It's the most important thing there is in the paint job. If your sanding for adhesion you should fix any bodywork that needs done, as it will only stick out when ignored in the new finish.

You could take 2 identical cars, and have the same painter paint them, but if one has 2 x's the amount of prep put into it, u would swear 2 diff people painted it.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

^^ So right. Take your time, dont rush it. You don't have to prime the whole car, depending on color, sand to 600 even on the primer spots, seal, and paint! The more time you put into prep and body work, the better the result. Remember if your changing color, all the jambs too... Be easier to remove doors hood and hatch. Even more time. Doing it everyday after work and weekends, it took me almost 2 months to get mine where I wanted it before paint.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtiebuilder
Doing it everyday after work and weekends, it took me almost 2 months to get mine where I wanted it before paint.
i feel your pain lol