Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Week after i get the car...AWW s**t

Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Week after i get the car...AWW s**t

Within the first few hours i take possesin of my beautiful NBM z some bitch scratches the hell out of my mirror...and bout a week later i screw up my paint

For work we have these magnetic signs we put on the car so i dont have to pay for parking, well i had these on there for a total of about 24hours only, and the pics are of the side that was in the sun mostly...the other side is pretty much ok...this didnt happen on any my dads car, or the other 2 cars ive had them on and i left them on a week at a time! it looks like the residue thats left over after u peel off a sticker, but its not sticky or anything u can berely feel it

i washed it and used that nu finish scratch doctor stuff bout a week later looks better than it did (pics are when it just happened) but was wondering if there was anything that would fix this, maybe clay bar? let me know what u guys think
Attached Thumbnails Week after i get the car...AWW s**t-0820101855-00.jpg   Week after i get the car...AWW s**t-0820101837-01.jpg  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

That'll buff right out.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol i hope so...kinda curious why this happened to my car and not any of the other cars...especially when i only had it on a fraction of the time
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I may be wrong, but I was once told that the paints with any type of metallic substance in them will be affected by magnets.

Remember a couple of years ago, the "support our troops" ribbon fad? I see a lot of ribbon patterned blemishes now due to them. I'm not sure that'll buff out. I think the magnet physically changed the paint and clear.

But again, I could be wrong...good luck
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GSus
I may be wrong, but I was once told that the paints with any type of metallic substance in them will be affected by magnets.

Remember a couple of years ago, the "support our troops" ribbon fad? I see a lot of ribbon patterned blemishes now due to them. I'm not sure that'll buff out. I think the magnet physically changed the paint and clear.

That's why you should never remove the ribbon. Support the troops for life.
It will buff out.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GSus

**** i never even thought of that...thatd explain why it didnt happen on the other cars...they didnt have mettalic paint, but i think this texas sun has something to do with it also, the side that was in the shade most of the time is pretty much ok
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM

one other option, did you just wax the car, if you did maybe the extra heat from under the sign caused the wax to go funky on you
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by virgil
one other option, did you just wax the car, if you did maybe the extra heat from under the sign caused the wax to go funky on you
nope, it was kinda dirty when i put the signs on actually...my car cant stay clean for one night where i stay
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

it should buff out...if not, I'd take like 3000 to it and then buff and see what happens. factory clear is pretty thin though so don't go too rough.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like the verdict is buffing! i appreciate the feedback, by the way thats a clean *** white t/a
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Clay it first and see where that leaves you if you have yet to do so. If that seems to "work" then just keep at it.

If not I would try a little 2k grit in a small spot and then try to buff it out.

Assuming you own a Porter Cable or a FLEX polisher.. I would go with a orange pad and some Megs 105 and then 205 on a blue, combo to polish it up with. About a speed 6 and to work the 105 and a speed 5-4 on the 205. Follow up with your favorite wax/sealant however you want.

If the 2000 Grit dosen't work I would be very careful to not go any lower.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya when i was using the nu polish it seemed to help i used almost a quarter of the bottle...would have kept at it but it was dark...i will try that claybar but it didnt jump out at me when i was at the store so i ended up with nu polish, hopefully i dont have to get that into it but thanks for the info. we'll see how it goes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Default paint blemish

i would use 3m product start with rubbing compound finish with polish compound use foam pads for ur buffer. your local paint shop should be able to help u out. using the right compound and pad is important for a good finish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Week after i get the car...AWW s**t