Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to save money on supplies? PPG Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to save money on supplies? PPG Alternatives?

So I put the LT1 front end back on my car and now I'm looking to get the car completely repainted. The first quote I received was over $3,000 which is probably more than the car is worth. After asking around, I found a person (one of my teachers) who used to own his own body shop and who is willing to paint the car for me if I buy the supplies.

After doing my research it seems that most people prefer and recommend PPG. The problem with this however is that it costs around $400 a gallon. I'm doing this myself to save some money, so spending that much on paint alone seems a little out of the question.

Is there any cheaper brands of paint that still hold up well? I've heard about PPG Omni, any opinions on this? Or any other ideas on how to save money while doing this?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PPG Omni is garbage IMO. Others will disagree, but I find the metallic matches to be horrible and the long term adhesion poor. Matrix on the other hand is a near chemical match for PPG and is a fraction of the price.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whistler
PPG Omni is garbage IMO. Others will disagree, but I find the metallic matches to be horrible and the long term adhesion poor. Matrix on the other hand is a near chemical match for PPG and is a fraction of the price.
Is there a good place to purchase this paint/look at prices?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PPG also makes a budget line called SHOPLINE. Its about 100 a gallon and sprays good. I have used it for years never had any issues. Then there is NASON which is DUPONT budget line, about same price. VALSPAR makes a pretty good cheap paint, sprays good with right equip.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
PPG also makes a budget line called SHOPLINE. Its about 100 a gallon and sprays good. I have used it for years never had any issues. Then there is NASON which is DUPONT budget line, about same price. VALSPAR makes a pretty good cheap paint, sprays good with right equip.
pretty much exactly what i was going to say. I have used shopline and i like it alot. I also recently used VALSPAR, a sprayable quart (premixed) was $35. It seemed to spray ok. Clears on the other hand, for on the cheap wise, i have only used shopline.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default eastwood

i have had bad luck with Eastwood acrylic polyurethane . It doesnt quite shine up like it should atleast in black. i also have had bad luck with the duplicar already to go paint shop series stuff that you will find at the local auto parts store
Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know about cheap basecoats (I've only ever dealt with PPG), but I know UPOL makes a great high solids polyurethane clear (part no. 2801), which goes for about $22 per quart last time I bought it. Works great and seems to have excellent durability as well.

Quick Reply: How to save money on supplies? PPG Alternatives?