Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sail Panel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sail Panel Questions

Okay i am reading up on all these issues of sail panels. I am looking at buying a car that doesn't have the best paint and some minor body damage. I noticed the sail panels also have some deep scratches. If the sail panel does not have bubbles is it possible for me to sand down and paint over the top of the panel?

What exactly are these sail panels made of? it sounds like it is some sort of plastic covering that is glued to fiber glass? Also this is a hard top car, so does the entire roof have issues of bubbling? and can i paint over the entire roof?

one last question is i have noticed it seems only v6 cars have the roofs painted the same as the body color while v8 cars have the roof black, is this correct? If so, why?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bubbling is caused from the adhesive off gassing. The bubble occur anywhere the panel touches the adhesive. On hardtops this would include both sides, near the windshield and down the middle as well. This effects 98-2002 models.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sail panels are fiberglass glued down and like he said above it's caused by the gasses releasing from the glue. I have a 2002 ss hardtop and mine looks like it did the day it came off the showroom floor and has 78k on it. I keep it in the garage and I am a painter so I know by looking at it that it's never been painted on before. If your roof isn't bubbling yet then yes you can easily sand it and repaint it just beware that prolonged exposure to the sun can make the bubbles appear more rapidly in the future. Keep it in the shade as much as possible even though i know you can't always do that. I haven't had any issues with my hardtop (knock on wood)!!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Okay i am reading up on all these issues of sail panels. I am looking at buying a car that doesn't have the best paint and some minor body damage. I noticed the sail panels also have some deep scratches. If the sail panel does not have bubbles is it possible for me to sand down and paint over the top of the panel?

What exactly are these sail panels made of? it sounds like it is some sort of plastic covering that is glued to fiber glass? Also this is a hard top car, so does the entire roof have issues of bubbling? and can i paint over the entire roof?

one last question is i have noticed it seems only v6 cars have the roofs painted the same as the body color while v8 cars have the roof black, is this correct? If so, why?
It all matters on what year you're looking at. For the roof and mirror color options;

1993 -1994 = Z28s had the black roof and mirrors. Base model Camaros had the body colored roof and mirrors.

1995 - 1999 = Z28s came stock with black roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with body colored roof and mirrors. Base model Camaros came stock with the body colored roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with the black roof and mirrors.

2000 - 2002 = Z28s came stock with the black roof and body colored mirrors, but could be ordered with the body colored roof. Base models came stock with the body colored roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with the black roof.

As for the sail panel bubbling, it only affects very late year 98's and 99 - 02's. 93 - 97's and early to mid-year production 98's did not have this problem.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
It all matters on what year you're looking at. For the roof and mirror color options;

1993 -1994 = Z28s had the black roof and mirrors. Base model Camaros had the body colored roof and mirrors.

1995 - 1999 = Z28s came stock with black roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with body colored roof and mirrors. Base model Camaros came stock with the body colored roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with the black roof and mirrors.

2000 - 2002 = Z28s came stock with the black roof and body colored mirrors, but could be ordered with the body colored roof. Base models came stock with the body colored roof and mirrors, but could be ordered with the black roof.

As for the sail panel bubbling, it only affects very late year 98's and 99 - 02's. 93 - 97's and early to mid-year production 98's did not have this problem.
I agree with everything except the bolded parts.

I bought a brand new Z28 in '99, and there was no option listed to order a body colored roof, and I'm reasonably sure that was the case in '98 as well. I think this option was only offered from '95-'97. The only way you could get a V8 Camaro with a body colored roof from '98-'02 was as a B4C car, which would then technically not be a Z28 (although still an LS1/V8).

I also don't ever recall seeing a factory option for a black roof on any '98-'02 V6s.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with everything except the bolded parts.

I bought a brand new Z28 in '99, and there was no option listed to order a body colored roof, and I'm reasonably sure that was the case in '98 as well. I think this option was only offered from '95-'97. The only way you could get a V8 Camaro with a body colored roof from '98-'02 was as a B4C car, which would then technically not be a Z28 (although still an LS1/V8).

I also don't ever recall seeing a factory option for a black roof on any '98-'02 V6s.
I know for a fact you could order base model's with black roofs mirrors in at least 1998-1999. 1.) There are some around here and 2.) A friend of mine's father ordered a 1999 V6 with the black roof and mirrors. As for the Z28's, I've never really paid much attention, but you could be correct. I just figured they'd leave the options the same as the 95-97's.

Quick Reply: Sail Panel Questions