Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Bumper Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bumper Repair

I have a couple questions about filling and fixing plastic bumpers. On the camaro i want to fill and smooth out the mounting locations for license plate etc... that are on the front bumper. What would be best to fill in the holes? I don't think bondo would be good on a flexible bumper.

Secondly i am going to put some RS ground effects on. However the ones on that mount to the front bumper have the mounting tab loop broken. Is there any epoxy out there i could form, sand/shape, and drill a new hole to fix the mounting tab? I was told mix-max bumper repair would work great for this? Any suggestions from the experts out there?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone sells this two tube epoxy looking stuff called flexible plastic (or bumper?) repair for $6 or $7. Walmart has the same thing for $3

I've used it to repair rips in my front bumper cover, and it is strong and yet flexible. A minor fender bender a few months later didn't break it back open.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

would this work to fill in a missing chuck? one of the area's has completely broken off and i need something to rebuild that area to make it look fine.

also can this flexible plastic repair be painted over?

thanks for the advice!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, it definitely can be sanded and painted over. If you have the pieces, you can reattach them with it as well. I'd do a quick tack in a few places, holding it together with c clamps or something similar.

Then do a section at a time (you only have about 3-5 minutes to work with each batch you mix up).

I tend to use a dremel or sander to rough up the inside of the rip/tear/crack and fill it in.
Once hardened/dried I work on the outside (painted side).
Old 11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Well the front ground affects I think this stuff will work on to rebuild the mounting tabs.

However in the rear there is actually a chunck missing that i need to use some sort of material or epoxy to rebuild it. it doesn't sound like this would be the ticket. I thought fiber glass would work perfect but researching it, sounds like it doesn't stick to plastic.... s
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

3m makes the best stuff designed just for it. I forget the part number but can get it if you want. Use the right stuff and dont worry about wally stuff.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
3m makes the best stuff designed just for it. I forget the part number but can get it if you want. Use the right stuff and dont worry about wally stuff.
Yeah if you could get me the part number and name of the 3m stuff i would appreciate it. I have been looking at the 3m stuff but wasn't sure what ot use, they make so many different products.

Also will this 3m stuff allow me to re-create sections that are missing? basically on the rear valence of the rs kit the bottom ledge has about a 3inch long by 1 inch wide section broken off. I would like to find something to essentially make a new piece and fill in that section that is broken off.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

find a auto body supply house and they will hook you up with the 3M products you need.......thats what i did.......and they are not cheap
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it plastic welded..You will never have a problem with it..
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Stick with the 3M much easier to work with.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fastride500
Stick with the 3M much easier to work with.
I bet a local bodyshop would do it cheap for you than buying the 3m stuff to do it yourself..
Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok let see plastic welding is ok but a pain.3m does make good stuff but I woyld recommend SEM brand the gun and tubes are cheaper and works the same. Quick 20 or problem plastic both work well there is also a quick 50 if you want a fast set but.not as fast as quick 20. I use is to fixed cracked bumpers, install body kits, and make new tabs..

Quick Reply: Bumper Repair