Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Modified Rear Seat Pans

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Rear Seat Pans

Who Has modified their rear seat pans for more room for exhaust or whatever? I'm planning on doing a traditional style true dual setup with the mufflers mounted under the rear seats. No one ever rides in the back, but I kind of want to keep the rear seats for the look. I am planning on cutting out the floor and welding in new metal thats flat instead of dropping down. I have seen a few guys that have just BFHed the **** out of them, but I don't want to do that.

Anyone have pics or how did you modify the seats after the floor pans were modified?

I also need to replace some sheet metal in my floor pans since my car is a northern car and had previous owners that thought they would make a good winter car Thats another reason I'm planning on taking this project on.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that to my Targa car back in 2000. You can cut out the metal and weld in a flat piece, or cut the whole lower seat piece into an "H" and fold it up into itself for more clearance.

Youll need to move up the brake and fuel lines on the drivers side for more clearance, plus add a "bridge" to the crossmember to make room for a pipe coming down the drivers side.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

The fuel lines and brake lines are going to moved to the top of the trans tunnel by the e brake cable so those will be out of the exhaust. The fuel pump sender wires are also going to be relocated to a different place with more room, probably closer to the center of the car.

The "H" cut isn't a bad idea, I didn't think of that and that would probably be alot easier than cutting out the whole piece. What did you do to the rear seats? Or did you just remove them?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Did anyone ever do this? I have heard it gives great clearance but have never seen any pics.

Quick Reply: Modified Rear Seat Pans