Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Chips on hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Chips on hood

The hood on my Z is getting rock chips everywhere. I saw an add on Tv for some paint chip repair from Dr. Chip, does anyone know if this stuff is any good? I was a car painter in my younger days and can't see how putting touch-up paint on chips is going to fill them like the add says. Can anyone recommend a good bra(for the car). I'm not really a car bra kind of guy but those nicks really show up on a red car.
I spent hours buffing and sealing the paint and the chips are getting worse.
Any help would be great.
Darrell
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film from 3M is an invisible "bra" made of clear 8 mil thick film. They have many professional installers or do it yourself pre-cut sheets for your car.

Comes to anywhere from $300 to $400 for a full front bumper and hood bra but well worth it. The leather ones are awful looking.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by TooFast3800
Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film from 3M is an invisible "bra" made of clear 8 mil thick film. They have many professional installers or do it yourself pre-cut sheets for your car.

Comes to anywhere from $300 to $400 for a full front bumper and hood bra but well worth it. The leather ones are awful looking.
GREAT IDEA, but first I've got to fix the chips without repainting the hood. Red is a B to match right, so that's way I thought of this Dr chip stuff.
It's pretty much stock now, so how much uglier could it get, and the wife drives it more than me. I ride almost everyday.
I just had some guy come into my shop for the same kind of film for motorcycles, maybe I can score a sample.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I would go ahead and repair and repaint it. Yes red is a B to match bc it fades bad. Plus a bra is gonna eat the paint away where it rubs it constantly and you don't want that either. Repaint it and then go with the 3m clear film