Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

69 camaro metal work suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 camaro metal work suggestions

i have a 69 camaro i am putting a full floor ,trunk floor rails dsc mini tubs an quarter skins.car is on a rotisory my question is would you do the floors tubs and rails firtst or quarters?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Do the floors first then do the qtrs, trunk floor and tubs together. You need to some research on weather you need to put the car on a dolly that mounts under the car and will suport it like the suspension will. The rotisserie mounts at the ends and might move(sag) when you cut off the qtrs. and they won't line up right when you get it back on the ground. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I agree! Get it back on the ground before you begin replacing sheetmetal and then fit everything in using sheetmetal screws where you are gonna weld them in at. That way you can adjust panels without having to grind tack welds off
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

X2. if you cut the car all up with the awkward pre-load of it being on the rotisserie, you'll end up with a warped/twisted uni body.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for great fitting metal check out classic industries, year one metal fitment has gone done the tubes, original parts group is ok

now what i do is when the car is just a shell, its still on the suspension and or sub frame, i brace the car before it goes on a lift or the rotisary, i brace from the lower inner rocker to the inner quater on a cross pattern

especially if its a convertable that car needs to be supported before it goes on anything

i use pipe thats used to make roll cages with, so once that car is twisted and you will know when you start hanging metal like the 1/4s trunk floor, the doors when you cant get a gap no where ya your fucked the body twisted

i like using the rotisary with a body jig attached to it, then your car will never twist or move
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

most of the sheet metal came from firewheel classics tubs came from detroit speed trunk floor and rails from dynacorn

Quick Reply: 69 camaro metal work suggestions