Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting My SS Hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Painting My SS Hood

Hi guys yesterday i picked up an oem ss hood for $325 off a guy locally in mint shape. My problem is my car is pewter and the hood is red, I paint small things on the side, I've shot my small flats boat and a couple cars here and there but all with dupont nason because they werent really anything i was planning on keeping and i was on a budget. However since this will be a focal point on the car I'm looking to get as close to oem quality and color as possible. What kind of paint do you all recommended? I know gm originally used PPG or dupont but what kind of dupont I cant be sure? Ive used ppg in the past and its a great paint so im kinda leaning towards that way. Also since Ive never shot this color over red will it be ok with just a sand and then paint or should i primer the red over to prevent color bleeding?
Thanks Dan
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about dupont paint bc i use RMDiamont by BASF. If you sand thru the clear on the red then I would advise putting primer on those spots but if you don't then you should be able to just prep it, use a good tintable sealer, and paint it without worrying about any bleed thru from the red in the future. To be on the safe side, if you don't feel comfortable, then just prime the whole hood
Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya the clear coat on the hood is still in good shape so I'm leaning towards just painting it after sand and prep. My thing was idk how transparent pewter is so idk if the red would come through the paint but looking at it now I'm not too worried. I was looking at using BASF but no one around me sells it they have only Prospray PPG or DuPont. Dupont looks to be about 140 for everything including clear and PPG comes in around 200 the only thing is that if I use dupont I will have to use Nason clear vs the chromaclear because they dont stock it by me in the quart size only gallons. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a quality clear for the dupont chromabase?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

ok guys i ended up finding the PPG for about the same price as dupont and since ive never had a prob with PPG and I'm good with spraying it I'll probably go with that. What are your all's thoughts on going over the red tho without some kind of sealer I've painted many things and just sprayed over the clear and never had an issue but will pewter be too tranparent and have the red shine through?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd prep it and prime it if it was me. Also it may be a little tough to match the pewter on the hood to the existing paint.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya i hear ya on the paint matching although last year I bought an ss spoiler from the spoiler company and I cant remember if they used dupont or PPG but the color match on the spoiler was closer than the oem bumper on the car and I'm sure they probably just used the standard pewter color and didnt bother with variances so hopefully it'll be ok. One other question I'm using a decal manta stripe for now because I'm not confident in painting the stripe on and idk if im gonna like how it looks so id like to be able to remove it. But anyway what are some recommendations for putting the decal on after the clear cures and get buffed should i just use some rubbing alcohol to clean off any residue and go at it or would the alcohol damage the new clear?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You got me on that one... mine is painted on...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you seal it you won't have any worries of it bleeding through. Really even if you base it you wont have to worry about it, it will just take a lot more coats to cover up the red.

If the hood is straight and looks nice without any flaws I wouldn't prime the whole thing, there is no need.

If you are worried about the hood matching to the fenders I would blend the hood into the fenders. If you haven't ever blend anything I don't want to get into it lol, hard to explain over typing it out, but basically you dust some color on top of the fenders so it matches then clear the rest of the fenders.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok guys got the hood all done with base coat and clear it looks great after a light wet sand and buff. But after doing this I've really decided I want to paint my manta stripe on instead of using a decal. Above all I want the paint transition between the hood and the black to be a smooth one once clear is applied. Whats the best way to go about this should I rewet sand the good then apply the black sand the transition edge smooth and clear? Or should i not sand the basecoat as I know thats usually a no no and then just build the clear back up on the hood as a whole?

Quick Reply: Painting My SS Hood