Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

what can i use to fill the holes in my engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what can i use to fill the holes in my engine bay?

my motor is out of my car and i am wanting to do the WIRE mod. what can i use to just fill in the couple holes on the fender wells? a metal epoxy? bondo body filler? i dont have access to using a welder and filling the holes that way so im not sure what else will work. help me out guys.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickers

Subscribing for answers!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a good 2K seam sealer
best to dimple on the finished side.
Would work even better if some type of re enforcement
such as stainless screen is on the backside and sealer is pushed thru it.Welding is really the best way.
Bondo will fall out
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without welding, I say dimple the visible side and use JBputty to cover the dimpled area and also some on the underside spreading the putty around the hole. When it's dry, sand the visible side flush, prime and repaint. The goal to applying a putty is to sandwich the metal around the hole and not fill just the hole. If the hole can be seen on either side after applying the putty, it could fall/vibrate out. Someone you know has GOT to have a welder tho.. Local Tech school maybe??
Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get to the backside of the holes you wanna fill, take a piece of metal bigger than the hole obviously, and apply "Nortons- Speed Grip" press to the hole and smooth out on the shown side with a spreader.

note: adhears to bare metal the best, so grind the little piece of metal on one side and around the hole both sides.

when after its cured you can sand and prime. ALSO note you can put filler over it ONLY with the speed-grip primed with no speed grip showing
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to home depot and get a wall patch. its a nice thin screen or solid piece depending on brand cover it and sand..easy as that
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by absynth408
go to home depot and get a wall patch. its a nice thin screen or solid piece depending on brand cover it and sand..easy as that
that is a good idea. have you done this?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Without welding, I say dimple the visible side and use JBputty to cover the dimpled area and also some on the underside spreading the putty around the hole. When it's dry, sand the visible side flush, prime and repaint. The goal to applying a putty is to sandwich the metal around the hole and not fill just the hole. If the hole can be seen on either side after applying the putty, it could fall/vibrate out. Someone you know has GOT to have a welder tho.. Local Tech school maybe??
yea i know somebody with a welder. i was just mainly trying to avoid welding so that i didnt have to grind down the welds. i was just lookin to fill the easiest way that actually works and than sand it down and paint it. but maybe i should just weld them shut and stop being lazy before i might end up regretting half assing it.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
yea i know somebody with a welder. i was just mainly trying to avoid welding so that i didnt have to grind down the welds. i was just lookin to fill the easiest way that actually works and than sand it down and paint it. but maybe i should just weld them shut and stop being lazy before i might end up regretting half assing it.
It's gonna be just as much work filling and sanding with a putty. I honestly believe you'd be better off doing it right the first time here since the work won't be THAT much worse.

Quick Reply: what can i use to fill the holes in my engine bay?