Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

TruFiber Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TruFiber Hood

Need some help with painting fiberglass. Does anyone have pictures of their painted fiberglass hood? or complaints afterwards.

Just got my SS hood in the mail, and it looks in great shape. Expensive but I think it's worth it. Looks like a 98+ SS style because of the cowl. I'm expecting a high price at a professional shop to prep the fiberglass but will it look the same as my body panels. I think it would look better than stock, because you can always tell the difference in the metal hood of a f-body and the other body panels. What am I getting myself into?
pictures would greatly be appreciated

Last edited by blakez28; 02-06-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: picture fix
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience here sorry.. Maybe this comment will spark some intrest for ya though! bump!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
No experience here sorry.. Maybe this comment will spark some intrest for ya though! bump!
hey thanks for the feedback, lol

Hoping someone will post pics of their painted aftermarket hard, or anything i should look out for. heard that prepping these is a biyotch
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres my Trufiber hood, paid $250 for the paint job, got it back in 3 days. They didnt colormatch it and it came out perfect. Not sure why they would be a bitch to paint, its just fiberglass with gel coat on it.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

I do these all the time. Ill get you some pictures tomorrow. Your hood was shipped with a gel coat. Any good body man with scuff that, then he will spray or wipe on a guide coat, then block it to make sure there is no high/low/dips/bubbles/or pin holes. if all is good he can and should shoot right over it but may choose to prime then repeat the above steps and then base/clear it. You can have it matched to your exsiting panels but they will charge you a little more.

The last one I did was a ws6. I fenched the nostrils smoothed the hood and did someother stuff. i get them to you tomorrow afternoon.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
I do these all the time. Ill get you some pictures tomorrow. Your hood was shipped with a gel coat. Any good body man with scuff that, then he will spray or wipe on a guide coat, then block it to make sure there is no high/low/dips/bubbles/or pin holes. if all is good he can and should shoot right over it but may choose to prime then repeat the above steps and then base/clear it. You can have it matched to your exsiting panels but they will charge you a little more.

The last one I did was a ws6. I fenched the nostrils smoothed the hood and did someother stuff. i get them to you tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for the info. can't wait to see pictures of any work you've done. What is a reasonable quote for a gm black, with a different color for the manta. I don't want to get ripped off because i don't know what steps have to be taken.
thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Heres my Trufiber hood, paid $250 for the paint job, got it back in 3 days. They didnt colormatch it and it came out perfect. Not sure why they would be a bitch to paint, its just fiberglass with gel coat on it.
thanks for getting back to me. Really appreciate the pics
nice looking bird too.
This all sounds great, I was expecting more, but 250 sounds like a great price. I'm going to get the whole car repainted with an SS spoiler that just came in the mail. I don't want some cheap maaco paint that will overspray and have lots of runs. Where was yours done? local body shop?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they cut me a deal on it
Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have one on my car. I even painted it myself.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Hey sorry I have been crazy busy ill get them up tomorrow. reasonably you can expect to pay 500 for all the work that will be done if you want the manta also. Where r u located and it looks like your front facia needs some love also..lol
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

what? an opportunity to ***** my car out? sureeee I'll help.

Trufiber WS9 hood. There should have been directions w/ the hood u got that u could give to the painter/prep worker, in case he isn't sure what to do.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
Hey sorry I have been crazy busy ill get them up tomorrow. reasonably you can expect to pay 500 for all the work that will be done if you want the manta also. Where r u located and it looks like your front facia needs some love also..lol
I'm located in Fort Mill, south carolina. Finding a reliable painter is hard for me, but I'll find one after this deployment. I'll get it painted a about a month before I get back that way I'll have a brand new car. I'm debating on what color to paint the manta. was thinking either satin black manta on glass black hood. or silver i don't know..

and the front fascia does look cracked but that's only because of the lighting. it's not cracked
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Get a hold of Brian Hall (803-327-1847) in Rock Hill, He can do what you need.

Last edited by torchedcycle; 02-25-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: TruFiber Hood