Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need opinions on rear quarter panel fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on rear quarter panel fix!

OK, it's been a while sine I have been here.......I recently purchased another 2001 Camaro SS that needs some TLC. I'm trying to decide about what to with the driver's side rear quarter. It has been hit right above the tail light and is pushed in. I am trying to determine if this is a replace the whole quarter panel deal or just fix the area that is damaged......heres the pics, let me know your thoughts....by the way, the car was like this when I bought it, no insurance claim on it.........

Dean

Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

bump before bedtime
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be able to do 2 things

Go buy a cheap harbor freight stud welder and slide hammer, ana a $15 body hammer and dolly set. With those 2 things you should be able to get that worked out pretty well, to the point where a thin coat of mud would finish it off pretty easy.

Im just finishing up a full 1/4 replacement and let me tell you, its alot of work. I would most definately try to fix that
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

I would try to fix that area as opposed to replacing the whole panel. However, although that dent is relatively small it is in a VERY bad area. Because of the curves and points in that area it is very hard there. I would definitely say that needs to be pulled right on that ridge where it lines up parallel with the rear portion of the spoiler. You may want to see if a body shop will clamp that car down and pull the ridge for you. That area has some good structure to it, it won't just bump out with a hammer/dolly or with a nail/stud gun.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't see an option here... except taking it to a body man or body shop.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

you will screw yourself and make that one worse if you go in there and try to bang it out with a hammer.

that needs to be pulled, or what i like to do in accessible places which this one might be able to be done with a little work is use a porta power, but im not sure how accessibly that exact spot is
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I think I am going to try to connect a chain somehow, maybe drill a small hole and then put a bolt with a plate from the backside and hook it to my engine hoist. I can then slowly pull it up and out while monitoring what is going on......thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like replacing the whole 1/4 panel is a bitch.........at least if I try this option first and it works, i will be ahead of the game!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

uhhhh... yea
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

ughh i hate this! i mean t hose things are soo thin to even touch! gd luck with the fix!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
uhhhh... yea
Sorry, I don't tuck tail and run to the mechanic or body guy everytime my car has something happen to it.........I can and have fixed most anything I have an issue with.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

You plan on reprinting the 1/4 too? Spray paint I'm guessing?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAte
you will screw yourself and make that one worse if you go in there and try to bang it out with a hammer.

that needs to be pulled, or what i like to do in accessible places which this one might be able to be done with a little work is use a porta power, but im not sure how accessibly that exact spot is
what he said. I'm sorry but anytime someone mentions body work and engine hoist in the same sentence. they don't know what there doing.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

what he said. I'm sorry but anytime someone mentions body work and engine hoist in the same sentence. they don't know what there doing.
Uh, anytime someone says "Take it to a body guy" before they even attempt to fix it shouldn't be giving opinions, although I did ask so I can't really fault you for stating your opinion.......

I'm not some 20 something year old "kid". I am 45 years old been around and worked on cars since I was 16, so i am pretty sure I know what I am doing.....have painted several that have turned out great...fixed many body panels as well. I ain't scared of it like you might be.........I'll post some pics when I'm done, engine hoist and all! LOL.......
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Teching In

You plan on reprinting the 1/4 too? Spray paint I'm guessing?
What is reprinting by the way????? I plan on repainting the whole car.....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stlcamaros
Uh, anytime someone says "Take it to a body guy" before they even attempt to fix it shouldn't be giving opinions, although I did ask so I can't really fault you for stating your opinion.......

I'm not some 20 something year old "kid". I am 45 years old been around and worked on cars since I was 16, so i am pretty sure I know what I am doing.....have painted several that have turned out great...fixed many body panels as well. I ain't scared of it like you might be.........I'll post some pics when I'm done, engine hoist and all! LOL.......
First i'd like to say some of us 20 something year old "kids" have been to places you don't have the ***** to even think about going to. I know the news doesn't mention it anymore but guess what, we are still in Iraq and Afganistan, and it isn't any better than when the thing began, as far as U.S. casualties are concerned. and i'm sure the next conflict isn't to far off. Myself and many other members on this forum have spent years of our lives in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan for this country and seen or had good friends die defending this country. So this isn't the best time in the last 30 or so years to be calling 20 something year olds "kids". %99.9 of these service members are more of a man than you will ever be.
Secondly No I'm not a body man but the only other job i have ever had beside the Marine Corps is at a body shop, removing body panels to expose damage under the panels, so parts could be ordered. My father and 3 of my uncles are bodymen and have been since they graduated high school (Our high school is also a vocational school). So no im not "scared" to attempt to fix a body panel myself, I know that it requires knowledge/skill/and equipment to complete many repairs correctly and guess what? I know I don't have the any of the above knowledge/skill/and equipment necessary to do 99% of body repairs. So this "kid" will just take it to daddy or one of his uncles and have them fix it correctly.
And last of all i'd like to say it's your car screw it up how you see fit.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

im a "20" some year old kid...so disregard what i say....well actually 22, and im a professional body man.

and im pretty sure you come get the correct angle with the engine hoist, the whole point is to reverse what happened.. if i pushed straight in on a door and made a dent i dont want to pull up and out to get it out.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

and your going to drill a hole big enough for a bolt?. are you going to weld that back up?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Teching In

First i'd like to say some of us 20 something year old "kids" have been to places you don't have the ***** to even think about going to. I know the news doesn't mention it anymore but guess what, we are still in Iraq and Afganistan, and it isn't any better than when the thing began, as far as U.S. casualties are concerned. and i'm sure the next conflict isn't to far off. Myself and many other members on this forum have spent years of our lives in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan for this country and seen or had good friends die defending this country. So this isn't the best time in the last 30 or so years to be calling 20 something year olds "kids". %99.9 of these service members are more of a man than you will ever be.
Secondly No I'm not a body man but the only other job i have ever had beside the Marine Corps is at a body shop, removing body panels to expose damage under the panels, so parts could be ordered. My father and 3 of my uncles are bodymen and have been since they graduated high school (Our high school is also a vocational school). So no im not "scared" to attempt to fix a body panel myself, I know that it requires knowledge/skill/and equipment to complete many repairs correctly and guess what? I know I don't have the any of the above knowledge/skill/and equipment necessary to do 99% of body repairs. So this "kid" will just take it to daddy or one of his uncles and have them fix it correctly.
And last of all i'd like to say it's your car screw it up how you see fit.
You are a joke.....you say all of this just because I tell you I have experience and I'm not scared to take on a challenge of a body panel? And don't even try to attempt to understand what kind of a man I am punk, until you know what I have been through in my life I'd watch my mouth if I were you. You think just because you have served that makes you more of aman than me and you don't even know my history? I hope they don't send you back on a tour, can we say "friendly fire" deaths..........psycho.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

moderators you can close this thread, didn't know asking a simple question about a 1/4 panel can cause the mentally disturbed lurking in here to blow a gasket........
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HAte
im a "20" some year old kid...so disregard what i say....well actually 22, and im a professional body man.

and im pretty sure you come get the correct angle with the engine hoist, the whole point is to reverse what happened.. if i pushed straight in on a door and made a dent i dont want to pull up and out to get it out.
And I've probably fixed some of your work......I've seen so called "professional" body work or "ASE" mechanics work before in my life, not impressed..........thanks for the ingenious explanation and analogy of the door....I never would have thought of it that way, geesh where do these guys come from?

Quick Reply: Need opinions on rear quarter panel fix!