Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cost for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost for paint?

I have a buddy that has a 1999 Olds Alero, we are getting the front bumper cover off of carpartwholesale for $24.60 and I'm not sure if there is some kind of catch, If anyone has any kind of experience with this site feedback would be appreciated. He isn't worried about exact fitment, as long as it isn't obnoxious. How much would it cost for a friend of his to paint it? It comes primered so we can eliminate that, but he is a DIY guy and if we buy the paint etc. he can do it for free. So about how much just paint, he already has clear coat.
Thanks, my estimate is somewhere around $150-200 total for paint.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the color and brand you go with. Dupont is a great paint for painting just a piece of a car (i.e. your bumper) but can be expensive. You need the paint, activator, and reducer. Your estimate isn't too far off, red (or any variation of) will be more. Luckily just a bumper will only take about a pint of paint, 1/2 pint of activator and reducer. Don't remember mix ratio but you won't need all the activator and probably not all the reducer.

Any of your local paint shops that sell paint can give you an exact quote. The O'Reilly Auto here sells paint and the paint guy really knows his stuff and is helpful.