Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Advice for fixing front-end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice for fixing front-end?

I'm not sure on what would be the best route in fixing some of my front-end damage to make sure its back to normal specs/right fitment. Car still runs great and engine/tranny are mechanically sound with only 84k miles on a 98, so i really don't want to part out or do any swaps.
I'm pretty sure shop costs would be through the roof just to put it on a frame machine and fix the bent metal on the upper and lower supports.

Any advice and input is appreciated, pics of current state below.

Pictures taken from phone, sorry if the quality is'ant to good.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy fix really...
You're going to have to find a donor car and weld in a new rad support, then just bolt on a bumper and head lights.
I had similar damage on my car and it cost about 4000 to fix.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:01 PM

So its as simple as cutting from a donor car, then welding on new upper/lower supports?
I don't think it would take me long to find a donor, just didn't think that cutting/welding was an option.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

to do it right you need to pull or get it as close to the right position before taking the old one out,because if you dont and weld on a new one out of place youll never get anything to line up correctly and if your frame rails have any damage it needs to be put on a frame machine and be pulled or youll not have a propper allinment on your car,excess tire ware vibrations ect. if you know anybody that does body work get them to look at it because sometimes the frame will crumple in certin areas(crumple zones),you need someone to look at it closely or it could cost you more time and money in the long run
Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

you can use pry bars,hammers, and maybe a port-a-power,or maybe a small jack,if you can get it in where you need it, to get back in the right position,also a monkey bar(long bar with chain n hook) and postion it against the floor move the chain n hook, to the right hieght and pull.a large slide hammer will help too.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
to do it right you need to pull or get it as close to the right position before taking the old one out,because if you dont and weld on a new one out of place youll never get anything to line up correctly and if your frame rails have any damage it needs to be put on a frame machine and be pulled or youll not have a propper allinment on your car,excess tire ware vibrations ect. if you know anybody that does body work get them to look at it because sometimes the frame will crumple in certin areas(crumple zones),you need someone to look at it closely or it could cost you more time and money in the long run
you can use pry bars,hammers, and maybe a port-a-power,or maybe a small jack,if you can get it in where you need it, to get back in the right position,also a monkey bar(long bar with chain n hook) and postion it against the floor move the chain n hook, to the right hieght and pull.a large slide hammer will help too.

Yeah that sounds about right, I'm working on her now and getting some lodged pieces out of the way for a better view of the rails and ill snap a few more pics.

Not sure who i get out here to have a look at it, would most body shops stop bye and give me a quote for free or at some expense? I know majority of it i can do fine by myself with a help of a few good friends but i'm not in any mood to try and fix the frame myself, if there is indeed damage.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM

More pics, sun is setting so didn't have much time. Heres a few more angles of the upper.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like you might not have frame damage but it's hard to tell,looks like the support took most of the damage, may be a little on the passenger side,take the battery out n get some more pics of the frame or get a flash light and comare it to the driver side frame rail if u see it crinkled a little you might have some frame damage,most body shops will give a estimate for free
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

The frame rail underneath the battery not the fender apron
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe take pictures from underneath the car on each side
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeah take the battery out as well as the radiator tomorrow, had to put them in to move the car up my 45° driveway..

Ill try and get pics from most of the angles to give ya'll a better look.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

sucks wrecking something u love, i had a 95 z i totaled about 2 years ago,had about 12,000 in it including the car but had 2 years of work in it,made me sick.Ill check back n see if i can tell you anything else when you get the pics up.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

your drivers side frame rail is pulled inward a long ways, im sure the passenger side is as well. you really need to have a body shop atleast put it on a frame machine and have them pull it to where it needs to be, then you could replace the radiator support by yourself if you would like.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

thats probably the smartest thing to do,dont waste time doing something if you cant do it right,itll screw you in the long run and b back to square one
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Honestly the actual frame doesn't seem to be touched, but i could be wrong. Only part im worried about is the passenger side. Driver's side is untouched frame wise. Impact was about 10% of being dead center its just a little more towards the passenger side.

Most of the pics are where the battery was located, and in that general area. A bit overcast today so pictures aren't crystal clear, gotta make due with my droid camera though.

Any input is appreciated, thanks
-Colin

Old 04-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Launching!

thats probably the smartest thing to do,dont waste time doing something if you cant do it right,itll screw you in the long run and b back to square one
Yeah i'm not, whole reason i'm asking on opinions. If the frame does happened to be bent or damaged ill take it to a shop with a frame machine.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

from the pics looks like if any its slighty in on the passenger side at the end of the frame rail.ill get one of my buddys to look at the pics also he does alot more frame work then me,but itll be monday before i see him, you might b alright but the best bet is to take it to a shop tell them what you want to do,they may work a deal with you to pull it and you do the rest,may only cost around 100-200 to get it pulled,most shops will work a deal out to help you.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

from the pics looks like if any its slighty in on the passenger side at the end of the frame rail.ill get one of my buddys to look at the pics also he does alot more frame work then me,but itll be monday before i see him, you might b alright but the best bet is to take it to a shop tell them what you want to do,they may work a deal with you to pull it and you do the rest,may only cost around 100-200 to get it pulled,most shops will work a deal out to help you.

I probably need more then... considering the front of the frame rail where the bump support is inserted, is crumpled up really bad on the passenger side.
FML
Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

good luck,maybe it wont cost to much,take your time do the rest yourself,you learn something in the process,got to look at it the best you can
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Update: Got it in and quoted to around $440-500 for just the frame rails. Place is called "Hill Country Customs" in 78132 and my insurance recommended going through them.

That sound about right for the quote?

Quick Reply: Advice for fixing front-end?