Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear Quarter Panel Damage *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Panel Damage *pics*

I bought this Camaro last year, and I've avoided the right side like it's the plague. I always pull up along someone I want to race, on my driver's side so they don't notice the huge hole in the right rear quarter panel. I'm pretty sure that a body shop would swap out a better panel to start with, and that this thing is too far gone past repair.
Wondered what you guys would think, would be the best route. I replaced the door and it was a pita to find a black leather door, but i'm lost when it comes to swapping panels. Is it hard to line up the gaps?

BONE STOCK the day i bought her

About two weeks ago, after a trufiber hood and some oem zr1's

I keep ordering parts for this thing and she's currently down for a LE heads/cam swap while i've been spending alot on performance while avoiding that passenger side. I know that if I had to see it everyday it would already be fixed by now lol.
Let me know what you guys think.
I found a cheap shell with perfect body panels. Would it be worth it. Even if they could pull this dent out, there would be still be a good amount of bondo. I figured that much bondo would pop out after months of closing the door that close to it. Roller a no go ??
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Need more pics of damage ,some with the door open would help also,to see how bad the jam is
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

I agree but it doesnt look too bad from the outside in the pics
Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Will open the doors and get some better pics soon
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Default updated pics

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Need more pics of damage ,some with the door open would help also,to see how bad the jam is
Had my brother take more detailed pics.
it's pretty deep in there. Am i looking at getting a new rear quarter panel??

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah,I would put a new quarter panel on it,going to be hard to fix n get right(even harder cause it's black).plus you would have to put quite a bit of filler in it(even after it's pulled out)and might not last.you can always try to pull it out and fill it,if you don't won't to spend the money to put a new quarter in,n replace when you can afford to do it right.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah,I would put a new quarter panel on it,going to be hard to fix n get right(even harder cause it's black).plus you would have to put quite a bit of filler in it(even after it's pulled out)and might not last.you can always try to pull it out and fill it,if you don't won't to spend the money to put a new quarter in,n replace when you can afford to do it right.
A new quarter can be found for cheap, but are you saying a body shop is going to charge me alot to swap the quarters?
I figured i wouldn't be able to fill this in because of the constant slamming of the door around it. Why is it going to be hard to get right because it's black? Because imperfections come through in black the most?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

If you get the quarter yourself a shop will charge around 1000 to 1500,yeah black shows any imperfections in body work
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

I guess if you feel comfortable fixing you can or ask a body shop to see how much they would charge to fix instead of replaceing,most shops will have some kind of guaranty,check both ways weigh out your options
Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats nothing fix it
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yodas little brother
thats nothing fix it
can you give some actual insight? Do you know how to remove/swap quarter panels?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.fbodyonline.com/forum/f26...-car-make-388/

camaros are a little diff though,i believe you have to take off the sail panel,not positive ive never done one on a f-body,but the same procedure for most all cars,its a lot of work exspecailly when getting a used quarter because you have to drill the spot welds and take it apart n do the same on your car also.hope this helps
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.fbodyonline.com/forum/f26...-car-make-388/

camaros are a little diff though,i believe you have to take off the sail panel,not positive ive never done one on a f-body,but the same procedure for most all cars,its a lot of work exspecailly when getting a used quarter because you have to drill the spot welds and take it apart n do the same on your car also.hope this helps
Just what i feared. Not looking forward to trying to line up the quarter and sail panel. Or removing them from both cars for that matter. I might have maaco do the body work, if they'll do it for cheap. thanks for the link
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had an '01 WS6 a few years back that was hit in the same place on the driver's side. I didn't want to remove the entire quarter (I hate drilling spot welds), so I split the quarter in half and only used the front half. It's really simple if you take your time making cuts and on the welding of the new quarter to the old quarter. If you get in a hurry welding that seem, it will warp both quarters terribly bad.

Considering where that is hit, I don't see anyway to fix it without using A LOT of filler other than replacing the quarter (or at least the front part of the quarter). Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 0269camaro
I had an '01 WS6 a few years back that was hit in the same place on the driver's side. I didn't want to remove the entire quarter (I hate drilling spot welds), so I split the quarter in half and only used the front half. It's really simple if you take your time making cuts and on the welding of the new quarter to the old quarter. If you get in a hurry welding that seem, it will warp both quarters terribly bad.

Considering where that is hit, I don't see anyway to fix it without using A LOT of filler other than replacing the quarter (or at least the front part of the quarter). Just my 2 cents...
Really appreciate that idea. I'm no body man but it's something to bring up to the shop. I would like to avoid using that much filler on such a sensitive area. I figured closing and banging the door next to that filler would make it move out of place. Or at least make the paint over the filler look different.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a similar issue but the corner is smashed on mine, as well as various dents on the rest of the quarter. I picked up a decent quarter for 100 already cut from a yard and my local Maaco quoted me around $700-800 to replace it and I've been debating to do it myself or let them. The write ups don't seem too bad so I think I'm going to try it.

I would at least try to find a quarter and get a quote from the shop to make your decision. Good luck and post results!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what did you decide
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blakez28
can you give some actual insight? Do you know how to remove/swap quarter panels?
have them pull it on the frame machine and pull it then fill and smooth but thats me
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

^^^^^ fixable, pull tap tap tap pull tap tap work it work it pull tap tap filler boom done
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

pull the reverse way of the accident happened, parallel not up or down, (arrows) .

tear the inner panels out so you can get to the inside, slowly reverse what happened, done go in smashing with a hammer, if it pulls nice you should only have body work abouttt in the area circled in red.. that small space anyone could make straight
Attached Thumbnails Rear Quarter Panel Damage *pics*-194139_1949880352415_1404790317_3916618_8089597_o.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Panel Damage *pics*