Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting plastic bumper trim

Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Painting plastic bumper trim

So I'm looking to paint the plastic wheel fenders on a wrangler as they are very discolored and fading.

I don't think these ever had any sort of paint on them, I think they were just black/grey plastic. However, I still want to do this right and initially I was just going to do a shot of adhesion promoter then some krylon fusion paint.

While I was at the store getting this, I saw some Duplicolor Flexible bumper coating which is said to be stronger, allow flexibility and prevent chipping and flaking. I just want to get some color on the plastic, so would this be a more durable solution than just paint?

Also, the guy there said that even with adhesion promoter you should still use a primer (promoter on bare plastic, primer, paint). I thought the whole point of the promoter was to stick to both the plastic and paint, but if I cover that with primer than the paint will have to stick to primer which I'm not sure if it will do as good of a job.

So out of these products, which ones are a must?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
So I'm looking to paint the plastic wheel fenders on a wrangler as they are very discolored and fading.

I don't think these ever had any sort of paint on them, I think they were just black/grey plastic. However, I still want to do this right and initially I was just going to do a shot of adhesion promoter then some krylon fusion paint.

While I was at the store getting this, I saw some Duplicolor Flexible bumper coating which is said to be stronger, allow flexibility and prevent chipping and flaking. I just want to get some color on the plastic, so would this be a more durable solution than just paint?

Also, the guy there said that even with adhesion promoter you should still use a primer (promoter on bare plastic, primer, paint). I thought the whole point of the promoter was to stick to both the plastic and paint, but if I cover that with primer than the paint will have to stick to primer which I'm not sure if it will do as good of a job.

So out of these products, which ones are a must?
adhesion promoter is technically a primer. Sounds like you don't need it though since the duplicolor flexible bumper coating is made for bumpers. Check the label on it. Might still be good to use adhesion promoter just tobe safe.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SEM Color Coat or Trim Black, along with their plastic adhesion promoter.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would find the paint product you would like to use and follow their reccomendations for painting raw plastic parts, make sure there is some type of adhesion promotor and flex additive involved. also check for proper prepping of plastic parts for the product your using...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting plastic bumper trim