Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Has anyone played with the ALSA paints, namely the chrome?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question Has anyone played with the ALSA paints, namely the chrome?

I think I will be doing a matte black paint job, but I'm wondering if it's been played out. So with this thinking, I've been looking into the crazy Alsa paints, specifically the chrome. I think a black chrome would look sick, but since i don't know anyone who has used this stuff, it's got me worried. The site makes it look easy, but then again , it's their job to make it look easy so you will think you can do it just to screw up and buy more lol...

http://alsacorp.com/index.htm

See first vid for explanation of "ease"

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chr...mefxvideo.html

Hell... if you can make some shitty soccerball look this good in 5:43 then it has to be cake to do on a car....right!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWp8...eature=related

Last edited by RONIN LSX; 06-18-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it would look great... but i have only seen a vehicle wrapped in chrome
Old 06-18-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
i think it would look great... but i have only seen a vehicle wrapped in chrome
Yeah I've seen chrome wraps on a bike, but it never looked right to me, like it was over stretched I think. It did that fun-house mirror kind of thing.

This red chrome is bad ***

Some of these other chrome colours are just as sick!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I have used some of there paint like the cob web and it realy good stuff
Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

That red would look SICK on an Fbody
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at alsa chrome paint myself,I like the red also,I'm probably going to get the smallest amount they'll sell n try it on something small to see how it sprays n looks in person.

The video is different than the the paint though,the video is their chroming system that uses spayed in chemicals not paint. They do have paint but it's not as reflective as what they use in the video.they have pics of their paint on their site,their light paint is cool too but only last like 1 day but it's still cool.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr346
I have used some of there paint like the cob web and it realy good stuff
Yeah that has some cool effects too, but I really like the Cyrstal FX. It's so damn deep that it almost looks like you can stick your finger in it lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
That red would look SICK on an Fbody
It reminds me of the chrome coloured hot wheels cars.

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
I was looking at alsa chrome paint myself,I like the red also,I'm probably going to get the smallest amount they'll sell n try it on something small to see how it sprays n looks in person.

The video is different than the the paint though,the video is their chroming system that uses spayed in chemicals not paint. They do have paint but it's not as reflective as what they use in the video.they have pics of their paint on their site,their light paint is cool too but only last like 1 day but it's still cool.
The Chrome FX line (MirraChrome) is what I'm talking about. I'm not sure it is a paint per say, but that's what they call it even though it goes through a chemical process to turn chrome.

Here's a FAST intake I found, but this is done with the Cosmi Chrome paint.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? That that stuff would be a great fix for those damn corroded taillight reflectors??
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

I originally started looking cause I was thinking of doing my whole car chrome with some red grand sport stripes but still not sure cause I thought it might b to gaudy,I change my mind about every other day on what I want to do.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? That that stuff would be a great fix for those damn corroded taillight reflectors??
I was thinking of that as well untill I seen your post, lol. But isn't it a T/A the one where the tails can not be took apart or is it the Camaro. I think one of the two has tails that you can't take apart because of how they were made or something like that.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I hope it's not the TA cause I need to take mine apart.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure if they have fixed the main problem with that paint.

You cant clear over top of it.

It looks like chrome as pictured above until you try and clear it, then it turns hazy and opaque like a blotchy silver. I think thats the reason you dont see any cars done in it, even though its been out for seven years. I remember at SEMA a few years ago the guys from ALSA pushing their chome golfcart around with white gloves on, because it wasnt cleared and the handprints would tarnish the paint.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose even if you let the paint cure really well that the clear would still etch the surface? It's a shame nothing else has come up.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

The mirrachrome is the paint it's the paint they used on 50cents lambo but the chromefx is a spray on chemical process witch you have to buy the rig they use.if you google cars with chrome paint you'll see the lambo and some BMWs with this paint you can put their candy over it to make it red,green ect.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whistler
Im not sure if they have fixed the main problem with that paint.

You cant clear over top of it.

It looks like chrome as pictured above until you try and clear it, then it turns hazy and opaque like a blotchy silver. I think thats the reason you dont see any cars done in it, even though its been out for seven years. I remember at SEMA a few years ago the guys from ALSA pushing their chome golfcart around with white gloves on, because it wasnt cleared and the handprints would tarnish the paint.
They do talk about having a new clear, but not sure if it's the same stuff you're talking about. If this is ruined by simply clearing it, that sucks! I read that Craig Fraser left because of quality issues. I wonder if it was due to this? I know he did their Chrome FX video they sell or sold.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...r-prodinfo.htm
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mirrachrome is the paint it's the paint they used on 50cents lambo but the chromefx is a spray on chemical process witch you have to buy the rig they use.if you google cars with chrome paint you'll see the lambo and some BMWs with this paint you can put their candy over it to make it red,green ect.
I think Mirrachrome and Chrome FX is the same thing. Just that the Mirrachrome is one part ( the paint part ) of the Chrome FX system. The Chrome FX system is EVERYTHING you need to do a job. You don't need the machine to spray the Chrome or any part of the system, it just makes it 10000% easier. Or at least that is the way I read the info.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

I went to the site again and I think your right,the mirraclear is what they have to put over the mirrachrome then you put a regular clear over it with all the products you have to buy it can get expensive,mirrachrome probably $1000 a gal,mirraclear probably $400 a gal,n good clear is 200-350 a gal( I like matrix ms-42 clear I can get it for around 140 a gal)$$$$ but I guess if you want to play you gotta pay,lol
Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to the site again and I think your right,the mirraclear is what they have to put over the mirrachrome then you put a regular clear over it with all the products you have to buy it can get expensive,mirrachrome probably $1000 a gal,mirraclear probably $400 a gal,n good clear is 200-350 a gal( I like matrix ms-42 clear I can get it for around 140 a gal)$$$$ but I guess if you want to play you gotta pay,lol
Yeah it's not cheap lol... To do 1 car, they list the $1600 kit. Then again, for high end paint, and all the goods, it's about the same I think. Isn't Kustom, House and Dupont a million $ a Qt?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

a million a quart?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone played with the ALSA paints, namely the chrome?