Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How do you mount RS ground affects?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you mount RS ground affects?

I bought a z/28 camaro with the rs package, however the owner before me took off all the ground affect moldings. I bought a used set to mount back on. However the side moldings just came with plastic straps and the body shop is telling me i need some sort of mount to hold them on.

How do the two side pieces mount up and where do you get these brackets? Called the dealership and they couldn't get them for me. Anyone have any pictures?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://mypartshop.com/

do a search on here you might get lucky and find a wrecked one close to you that you might be able to get the brackets off of theres a check box when you look for used front bumper that says with or without ground effects they might sell you the brackets if you find one
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a wings west ground effects put on my old 1994 camaro. I don"t think brackets were used. Screws on the ends and double sided tape. Does any one agree with this ? I am going to put my ground effects on my self and wondering if this will be sufficient.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked with a member here and he sent me some pics of the metal brackets needed to mount the side skirts. The guy i ordered them from online said the manual shows 6 of those metal retainers but this guy said he took off like 25-30 of them??? not even sure how it would be possible to have that many.

Also there are plastic straps which appear to go through holes on the back side of the RS side skirts. What are these plastic straps for??? If anyone could take a picture of how these things are mounted on the car it would really help me out. Also how many of those little metal retainers are there? I ordered 6 and i think it should do the job as i can see where there is a lip on the skirt that is where everything is held in place.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I had them on my car, metal brackets are riveted to the body so that the ground effects basically slide in and rest on top of them and take all of the weight of the piece. The plastic rivets are on the sides to hold them in place. The side skirts were bolted on underneath instead of using plastic rivets.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Those plastic straps are what you bolt onto the car, they line up with the holes if you plut them on.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Also your source you spoke to on here was correct, I had tons of metal brackets I took off...6 for each side, about 8 for the rear and 4 for the front ground effects. So it should be about 24ish brackets
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes the stock ground effects are held on by brackets. But I'm not sure they are necessary. Im going to try to use the end screws and double sided tape. You can get the tape from a auto paint supply. I'm going to paint my ground effects myself and install in about two weeks. I took off a stock ground effect piece at the junk yard and the back ground effect had a ton of those brackets.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

theres 8 brackets per side and there plastic, heres what you need its a ford part, but exactly the same 25per box. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/For...p_p/a19441.htm
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed stock front ground effects, I used double sided tape and I used screws to secure. The sides I screwed the ends in and used double sided tape from paint supply store or you can get a smaller roll from advanced auto. No problems. Holding up well, I had a problem with the tape sticking to the inside of ground effect so I used automobile spray primer and had no problem after that. The sides were wings west that had no mounting tabs. The rear I used a stock ground effect, I used double sided tape and used screws in the tabs to screw into rear bumper cover. No mounting brackets used.

Quick Reply: How do you mount RS ground affects?