Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

My Complete Paint Job **LOTSA PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My Complete Paint Job **LOTSA PICS**

Well, I've been in the process of painting my car for the last month and a half and decided today to post up all may pics so far for my fellow ls1tech brethren.

Just some random info about the paint job:
1. I'm using Sherwin Williams paints (bc/cc), a high build sandable 2k primer surfacer called spectraprime. Base and clear is yet to be determined, but it is staying black
2. All paint is being removed down to factory primer. This is due to the previous owner wrecking the car then getting a sh**y paint job that was flaking off

My baby is on the right

The alignment of the passenger fender and the front bumper sucked due to a previous wreck.

The passenger quarter apparently also had previous damage. Then I made it worse by backing into my envoy All the little dimples you see are hamer marks made when I was hammering it out from the inside of the quarter.

Much more has been done to the car since and I wil post those pics soon.
Let me know what you think .
Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Some more pics

The first try at fixing the quarter. Ended up using way too much bondo so I had to strip it all off, realign the quarter better, then try again

This sucked sanding. The entire thing had to be hand sanded too!

I assume this is from the previous accident. Thankfully it was fixed rather well.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Prepping the front license plate to be molded into the front bumper.

Sprayed rust blocker spray paint on upper rails to stop/prevent rust on damaged metal.

MUCH more to come!

Last edited by andrewhlr; 07-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 AM
Teching In

I think it's awesome that you're doing your own work...but are those holes drilled in your quarter? If so, why did that happen?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dudge
I think it's awesome that you're doing your own work...but are those holes drilled in your quarter? If so, why did that happen?
The holes are used to help straighten the panel. Basically what you can do is attach a screw to a slide hammer then screw it into the quarter and pull it out. You can then bondo over them. I had to do this for the spots that I couldn't reach from the inside. FYI, The holes on the right side were drilled by someone else doing a different repair and I drilled the ones directly over the wheel well.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

looks like a shitload of work...good job
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
looks like a shitload of work...good job
At this point it was only about 50 hours. I will post more pics soon. I'm actually almost ready for color and I have about 250 hours so far
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by andrewhlr
The holes are used to help straighten the panel. Basically what you can do is attach a screw to a slide hammer then screw it into the quarter and pull it out. You can then bondo over them. I had to do this for the spots that I couldn't reach from the inside. FYI, The holes on the right side were drilled by someone else doing a different repair and I drilled the ones directly over the wheel well.
Ohhh, no stud gun....gotcha. Keep on keepin' on, brochacho!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a stud gun before to "weld" up holes drilled to pull previous dents. As long as the holes arent larger than the head of the stud.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
I have used a stud gun before to "weld" up holes drilled to pull previous dents. As long as the holes arent larger than the head of the stud.
That's a good idea... although it's a little late to do that know.

But here's some more pics to add to the ridiculous length of this single page lol

Wave bye-bye to the front license plate

The gaps/alignment was so bad that after MANY hours of adjusting them I finally decided that I would have to use this stuff for that too. I know, it looks bad now, but just wait to see how it turns out...

Fixing some cracks with the same stuff.

Thats right boys and girls, it's new roof time

It had some hideous bondo work done lol

New roof: $65
Gas driving to the junk yard: $15
Not having another bubble in my sail panel: Priceless

Bondo attempt #2. It's good enough for me.

The bondo is not on the lip this time lol

Can you say primer?

Last edited by andrewhlr; 07-26-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

wow man..who taught you how to do all that body work?...thats cool..wish i did'nt have to pay someone else to paint mine black...would have loved to save myself 2000 dollars
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
wow man..who taught you how to do all that body work?...thats cool..wish i did'nt have to pay someone else to paint mine black...would have loved to save myself 2000 dollars
Thanks. Everything I know about cars is self-taught, including the bodywork. I had never done anything to a car up until about a year ago. I just go tired of being ripped off, so I said "f* it, how hard can it be." To be honest though, it doesn't hurt that I am a mechanical engineer lol.

But you should paint it next time. It's really not difficult, just time consuming. But make sure you have done your research before hand so you don't truly mess something up lol. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Wow thats a ton of work, Congrats on actually taking on this project. Cant wait to see the results!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work man. Now get to work on mine lol.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Im about to take on this challenge with my truck. Ive sprayed single stage paint before, but Im using base coat/clear coat for my truck. I think Im gonna go with a SOM color for it.

You have a link to where you bought your Sherwin Williams paint & primer?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Im about to take on this challenge with my truck. Ive sprayed single stage paint before, but Im using base coat/clear coat for my truck. I think Im gonna go with a SOM color for it.

You have a link to where you bought your Sherwin Williams paint & primer?
SOM is a sick color and good luck with it. I would go with it but black is the best color for the WS6 IMO.

But I'm using SW paint because they have a store near me. I would prefer to use PPG or HOK but had no idea of what all to buy and how to use it so I' going this route. You can check their website and see if they have a store near you. They probably will. Just make sure it's SW Automotive and not your household paint SW. The good thing about this is if I have any questions I can just give my jobber a call for some advice. He should know what he's talking about seing as how he painted cars for 29 years. And SW is still a high quality paint and on par with PPG and HOK so I'm happy with it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody have any advice on the best black? I'm looking for the deepest darkest black that I can get. I know PPG and the others have good blacks but what about SW? Maybe I could go with a good factory black from some car or get a custom mix
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Looking good man. If you can I would spray undercoating or something else inside the quarter you fixed. Moisture will get into the bondo through the small holes. Bondo is pourous and will suck the moisture up and will eventually pop out. That's why it's best to weld the holes shut or use kitty hair which is moisture resistant.

Please don't think I'm doggin' you because I'm not. Just trying to help. It looks good. I know how much work it is.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Looking good man. If you can I would spray undercoating or something else inside the quarter you fixed. Moisture will get into the bondo through the small holes. Bondo is pourous and will suck the moisture up and will eventually pop out. That's why it's best to weld the holes shut or use kitty hair which is moisture resistant.

Please don't think I'm doggin' you because I'm not. Just trying to help. It looks good. I know how much work it is.
Thanks for the advice! I never thought about that happening but it makes sense. I wish I could have welded them up but don't have the equipment to do so. But I will make sure to use some type of protective barrier.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Np man. I just don't want to see all your hard work fall out on the ground one day!

Quick Reply: My Complete Paint Job **LOTSA PICS**