Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?

I am getting my vert painted soon and after some long thinking, I will be going with a Murder Out paint job. I know that it a PITA to maintain and keep looking good so I don't want to use some POS paint system.

My question is simple - Who makes the best paint system for a Murder Out paint job? I heard that DuPont makes a kit specifically for a Murder Out spray, but I can't find it and I don't have any P/N. What about PPG? The guy that's painting my Bird like to use PPG paints. I also read here that SEM Hot Rod Flat is good, but it's a single stage (as if I know the definition of single stage, lol). I also recall reading where someone mentioned Lambo Flat Black or something like that. I'm sure I'll be getting the paint at cost so I don't mind spending some money.

Another idea I was thinking about came up in a conversation I had with another painter. He took a motorcycle helmet and sprayed it Ultra Gloss Black (or something like that) then took some clear and mixed a very small amount of silver in it and candied over the black; the guy said it came out looking like chrome. Has anyone done something on the lines of this?

Though in the end, I think the Murder Out concept will be the sickest of the 2. I have the RKsport tonneau covers, VFN 4" ram air cowl and the Evolution 1 bumper. All my hardware - Fab9, Vc Jr intake, suspension, etc are all powder coated in Ferrari. Not sue about the wheels yet, just rock'n some fucked up stockers on there now.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...urability.html

good info here
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Cookba, but I've already Necro'ed that thread the other day lol. I'm hoping that someone replies with a real world update since it's over a year old.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car Craft had an article sometime recently with a 1st gen Camaro they sprayed. It looked almost satin when finished. It was some type of rustolem flat industrial that they cut with thinner and sprayed. It looked great, check it out.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Probably for most durability regular black base like dupont 99k then use a matte/flat clear I like spies/hecker matte clear( 8070) dupont make some too hot hues hhc-5300, I believe HOK makes some too. I've notice that it's more like a satin clear though but no where near gloss.
What about a two tone gloss black on top with a matte clear black on bottom, n a red pinstripe or something.
I've done candy paint n IMO is the nicest paint out their the depth n the transparent properties, you can do so much with it. Check the bike out in my profile page it's a buddys bike I paints it with silver base, then gold traditional flames with the skull n realistic flames in black(witch I do alittle diff. now, was kind of experimenting with his bike) then HOK burgundy candy 4 coats then 2 coats of clear.
Hope I didn't make you rethink what you want to do, lol. I'm going to do mine here soon, but change my mind all the damn time.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

ppg essentials flat black. The flat clears tend to chalk up over time. The essential line is very tough paint and it is just over 100 for a gallon kit.I have used a few brands and like this best. Tell who ever paints it to put it on very wet on the last coat
Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ncsu602
Car Craft had an article sometime recently with a 1st gen Camaro they sprayed. It looked almost satin when finished. It was some type of rustolem flat industrial that they cut with thinner and sprayed. It looked great, check it out.
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find the article on line!

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Probably for most durability regular black base like dupont 99k then use a matte/flat clear I like spies/hecker matte clear( 8070) dupont make some too hot hues hhc-5300, I believe HOK makes some too. I've notice that it's more like a satin clear though but no where near gloss.
What about a two tone gloss black on top with a matte clear black on bottom, n a red pinstripe or something.
I've done candy paint n IMO is the nicest paint out their the depth n the transparent properties, you can do so much with it. Check the bike out in my profile page it's a buddys bike I paints it with silver base, then gold traditional flames with the skull n realistic flames in black(witch I do alittle diff. now, was kind of experimenting with his bike) then HOK burgundy candy 4 coats then 2 coats of clear.
Hope I didn't make you rethink what you want to do, lol. I'm going to do mine here soon, but change my mind all the damn time.
Thanks for the P/Ns, I'll look into them!

I design tribal tats for tattoo shops so I was thinking of doing a tribal design on the hood in a gloss black.

lol, until it's done, I'm always rethinking ****!

Originally Posted by CL2000
ppg essentials flat black. The flat clears tend to chalk up over time. The essential line is very tough paint and it is just over 100 for a gallon kit.I have used a few brands and like this best. Tell who ever paints it to put it on very wet on the last coat

Yeah that chalking is what worries me. Also I was told that if a bird ***** on it, it will leave a white blotch on it. $100 is deff not bad; I'll look into the PPG! Thanks for the tip, I'll let them know
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been looking at a few pics and noticed that the black is not very, well.... BLACK! I want something that is... well Pheonix said it best...

Originally Posted by Pheonix
....if you want the darkest black get some blue kandy concentrate from House of Kolor and mix in some with the black and you will be able to see dead people in the paint.
lol... I dug that quote so much that I used it in my SIG, but for some reason it didn't show up. Anyways.... I want something like that!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Dupont 99k is a good black, theirs generally 2 kinds of black, a browner black and a bluer black, the bluer blacks are more black looking.( I know it sounds crazy but if you pit them beside each other you would see the diff. I would say that using the HOK candy n black would make a nice black, I've never mixed them together but I've put cobalt candy over black n made a killer dark dark blue so if you mixed them I'd say it would b nice, love candies for their depth!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used something else. its a secret. wish I can tell you. =]
I rattle caned mine.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

any flat will chalk over time. Just a matter how much sun it gets
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Dupont 99k is a good black, theirs generally 2 kinds of black, a browner black and a bluer black, the bluer blacks are more black looking.( I know it sounds crazy but if you pit them beside each other you would see the diff. I would say that using the HOK candy n black would make a nice black, I've never mixed them together but I've put cobalt candy over black n made a killer dark dark blue so if you mixed them I'd say it would b nice, love candies for their depth!
Yeah I just want a EVIL DEEP black! I love then way the Murdered Out paint looks, but most of the time they are not very black, but more black gray.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I used something else. its a secret. wish I can tell you. =]
I rattle caned mine.
Dude! If the car in your sig is the rattle can paint job, that looks bad ***! However, I personally prefer a deeper black, but none the less, as I said, it looks sick! Any better pics?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pillarpod
any flat will chalk over time. Just a matter how much sun it gets
Damn man, your ride is killer too! It seems to be a deeper black than most. Do you have any more pics?

Yeah the chalking is what kills the whole idea; I wish someone would come up with a way to combat that issue.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can someone post pics of a Satin Black vs a Flat Black?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup! Rattle can.
Ill tell you what I used. PM me. Like I said, its a secret.

Before.

Added Ultra z Hood.

Added SS Spoiler.

Added Black wheels. =]

and thats how shes sitting now. I do wanna throw in some gloss black zr1s in the near future and tint.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

From the pics that rattle can job looks great!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Launching!

ive heard of ppl getting the entire car done in flat black vinyl...

...get tired of it, just peal it off.

http://www.skinzwraps.com/matte-black-wraps.html
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I would of known about car wraps when I sprayed mine, I would of done it, but then again, my black was going to **** so I painted it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

mines satin
Attached Thumbnails Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?-black3.jpg   Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?-bs-lowerd2.jpg   Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?-ass1024.jpg  

Quick Reply: Who makes the best Flat Black for a Murder Out spray?