Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Body Panel Gaps after Repair? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Body Panel Gaps after Repair? HELP!!

I apologize in advance for the long post but I really need some help here....

I bought a 02 WS6 that was bumped in the front end. The way it was explained to me is that the guy's sister was backing up perpendicular to the TA and the pass rear of her car scraped against the front pass side of the bumper cover on the TA. The damage supported the story.

I took it to a reputable body shop and even know the guys there. It's a GM dealer and they normally do excellent work. The pass front fender, inner fender, and bumper cover were replaced. I figured it would be like new when I got it back. I'm pretty picky and looked over the car at the shop and noticed the body panel gaps were all over the place. Because of the way the car was hit, the pass side gaps are close and the drivers side gaps are wide.

I immediately asked them about this and they said these cars aren't perfect from the factory and it'll never be perfect. I took their word for it.... I paid for it and took the car home.

Since this was December, I was happy the weather cooperated and I was able to get the car fixed before winter. It's in my garage now and everytime I look at it I get disgusted. I already told them I'm not happy with the color difference between the drivers front fender and the hood and bumper cover (fender wasn't sprayed!!). They agreed to fix it in the spring and I'm sure they will blend it good since the other side looks good but what should I do about the gaps? Like I said, I know the guys and the shop head is my dad's buddy so I don't want to get them mad but I paid good money to have my car fixed!! I want it done right! Should I have them fix it or eat the bill and take it somewhere else?

I have pictures from when the car was brand new and the gaps are perfect on it! Every other TA I see has perfect gaps in the front... I'll post pictures so you guys can see what I mean.

Anyone else run into this???
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

My TA Brand new:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My TA After Wreck:

Shot at 2012-01-31

Shot at 2012-01-31

It's a little tough to tell but the gaps look perfect on the brand new pics. You can see in the "wrecked" pic that the gap between the hood and bumper cover on the pass side is non existant and the one on the drivers side is wide. After the repair, the pass side is better but the drivers side is still wide.

I'll have to take some pictures tonight of my TA after the repair but the gaps on the pass side are narrow (where it was hit) and the gaps on the drivers side are wide. the gaps between the hood and the bumper cover on the pass side are ok but the one on the drivers side is way wide.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the damaged was only limited to the outside body panels then it should not look like that after proper alignment. I would have them re-align the panels.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had real bad damage up front and the gaps were a little off....just played with them a lil and they lined up just fine. If your damage is as minimal as you say it is, it should def not look like that...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can fix it. They are just being lazy.

I had the same problem with my truck when it was hit. I found a reputable shop and they fixed all the gaps. I called the original body shop and made them refund me that $$$.

Give the original shop a chance to fix it one more time. If they say no, tell them you will take it elsewhere and then ask them to refund the difference once you show it can be done correctly.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
They can fix it. They are just being lazy.

I had the same problem with my truck when it was hit. I found a reputable shop and they fixed all the gaps. I called the original body shop and made them refund me that $$$.

Give the original shop a chance to fix it one more time. If they say no, tell them you will take it elsewhere and then ask them to refund the difference once you show it can be done correctly.
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. I'm taking it back in the spring anyway to have them spray and blend the drivers fender anyway so I'm going to say I want them to fix the gaps at no charge since I already paid for them to be right. They used the excuse that these cars are really tough since the headlights flip up but every other car I see is darn near perfect, factory or not.

The bumper support was damaged and they repaired that but they said the body was straight so in my mind there should be no reason the gaps are not 100%.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. I'm taking it back in the spring anyway to have them spray and blend the drivers fender anyway so I'm going to say I want them to fix the gaps at no charge since I already paid for them to be right. They used the excuse that these cars are really tough since the headlights flip up but every other car I see is darn near perfect, factory or not.

The bumper support was damaged and they repaired that but they said the body was straight so in my mind there should be no reason the gaps are not 100%.
Been in your situation before and is the reason I dont do business with friends or family. You paid to have your car fixed and they didn't fix it like they should have. I'm like you, very picky about my Trans Am. IMO, I wouldnt have paid for anything. I would have looked at it, told them it isn't right, and made them fix it right then and there.

After 11 years of owning several TA's, no way is someone gonna feed me that garbage those guys told you about complicated headlights or that they will never be perfect, not with the minor damage you had. I've had my fair share of accidents, even hit a wall once. After the body shops were done fixing my cars, they looked like they came off the assembly line. Totally understand that they are your dad's friends, but business is business.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hiram007
Been in your situation before and is the reason I dont do business with friends or family. You paid to have your car fixed and they didn't fix it like they should have. I'm like you, very picky about my Trans Am. IMO, I wouldnt have paid for anything. I would have looked at it, told them it isn't right, and made them fix it right then and there.

After 11 years of owning several TA's, no way is someone gonna feed me that garbage those guys told you about complicated headlights or that they will never be perfect, not with the minor damage you had. I've had my fair share of accidents, even hit a wall once. After the body shops were done fixing my cars, they looked like they came off the assembly line. Totally understand that they are your dad's friends, but business is business.
Well I called and told him I'm not happy with the gaps and he said no problem. I'm bringing it down Early next week since we have had so little snow. Hopefully it will be right this time. No charge other than spraying the fender but I'm fine with that. I'll follow up when I get it back. Thanks to all who contributed. I'm glad I made this post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

they may have put an aftermarket bumper and fender on it when replaced, when we install aftermarket bumpers/fenders/headlights etc, majority of the time they fit like **** rather than oem fit really nice, all it takes its a little tweaking and you can make it fit proper, its their responsiblity to stand behind their work
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

They were supposed to be GM parts since they said they couldn't get aftermarket parts. The car is done and I have yet to see it but supposedly the panels are prefect and the paint turned out good. I understand being charged for painting the fender and blending into the door sine that wasn't part of the original work but they originally said it would be $200 max. They want to charge me $275, supposedly it took 5hrs. Does that seem reasonable for mixing and spraying or should I argue with them when I get down there?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Got the car back and I'm happy with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

good deal!

Quick Reply: Body Panel Gaps after Repair? HELP!!