Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hatch related issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch related issue

I have an 02 TA...I re aligned the hatch to even the gaps on each side the issue is now that hatch seems to hit just the very edge and rests on top of the center fascia panel that the key fits into. I've tried washers behind the tail lights and panels to try and give it a little more clearance but that looks funny. I've tried to push the hatch back and it's as far back as it can go... it was a pita just to realign. FYI this isnt the original hatch this was out of a 1999 TA and I have swapped because of some damage that was on the previous hatch on the inside underside where the hi rise wing bolts fasten.I was wondering it ppl can post some pics up close of where their rear hatches rest .

Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Open the hatch and raise the passenger side of the trunk latch just a hair. You'll maintain the gaps but it'll level the edge over the lights.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Thank you I'll try this when I get home
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

please keep us posted. I have the same issue. I had my hatch replaced on an '02 and i have a large gap where the deck meets the tail lights, yet the deck meets the fenders just fine. I posted on it a while ago - i'll see if i cant find the pictures - i have never solved it.

thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

found it - here is the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...tment-how.html
here is the pic
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

mind sharing more detail on how you got the hatch better aligned? mines in need of that but never feel like I can get it right.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Launching!

If you've already swapped your hatch there's a couple things you need to make sure
That your original hinges are back in their original place on the new hatch i e left is on the left right is on the right if they're backwards it'll never sit right.
next thing you need to check is that the original retaining Loop that fastens on the bottom side of the hatch is on the new hatch there is a difference between a Firebird retaining Loop and a Trans Am retaining Loop they are different model numbers the firebird sits almost dead center in the center of the plate where has the Trans Am sets about an eighth of an inch off if you don't have the actual Trans Am latch Loop it won't lock right and push the hatch either to the right or to the left.
step one is to remove your headliner
Step 2 is to raise the hatch all the way up and disconnect the shocks make sure you have a sturdy cardboard box that's about the same level
step 3 I removed all my moldings around the inside of the hatch
step 4 mark your current location of your hatch ie sharping where your hatches located to the frame of the car so in case you get frustrated you can go back to the original position this includes also marking the current position of your hinges both to the body of the car and to the hatch don't forget this step it's really important
step 5 go ahead and disconnect the shocks holding the hatch and support it with a box that will be almost level with the top of the car I would say have a friend help you with this that way you don't have to get in and out of the vehicle to tighten and loosen bolts but most of the time they're just going to whine and complain that they're holding the hatch the entire time and how weak they are
Step 6 just loosen the bolts to the glass first go ahead and move the hatch as needed then tighten them down then go ahead and lower the hatch on to the locking mechanism but don't lock it in place this is so you can gauge where your hatche is resting at this time I used wood shims all around the hatch to get the spacing I wanted then I unloosened the bolts to the body of the car . You can loosen them first if you want but I was doing this by myself and I didn't want the hatch to move too much without me being back there . Once you get your hatch adjusted right you can go ahead and move the locking mechanism itself into the position that you need and if you need more adjustment you can always move the state with the latch Loop .

this is not something you can Rush you'll just get frustrated make sure you have plenty of time this took me well over 4 hours just to get it the way it is now
don't forget as well there are little rubber bump stops on the left and the right Corners that you can adjust to if one side sits lower than the other.​
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Sweet thanks for this. I seapped mine out when I still daily drove it. On a winter night we swapped the two out. It was a junk yard pull, so I got the hinges and the latch. I don't think I swapped anything off of my bird hatch......
when closed mine looks like it needs to slide towards the sail panel a 1/8th of an inch or so. I don't think we undis the atruts when we lined it up either but there were three of us installing it