Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

custom painting interior...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom painting interior...advice?

so im painting the interior of my car on a budget and im just wondering is there anything special i need to know about painting? i already bought plastic primer, 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and i have two cans of clear. to my knowledge the steps are as follows

clean
prime
sand
paint

so wat i plan on doing is

brake cleaner
light grey/whitish primer...light coat
sand with 600
paint interior pieces blue
clear it all

my concerns are should i completely cover the pieces in primer? should i sand again with something finer? if u had a nbm firebird and u were using paints at autozone would u do duplicolor perfect match or just rustoleum dark blue (it doesnt look all that dark to me but w/e) and since im clearing it (just to prevent chipping and stuff) do i need to sand again?

btw im painting the pieces under my steering wheel, the glovebox, the map holders(non monsoon doors if that makes sense...i dont have tweeters)and im debating the center console. i have cloth interior and in time im going to paint the door cloth blue; as well as the center sections of my seats(the rest of the seat will b black).

as for the finish i dont think i want it looking all shiny and stuff...maybe...idk...if u guys have piks of shiny interior parts lets see(everyone loves a car show lol) but i think i want to stick with a more subtle approach. ive seen the interior thread and i liked wat i saw there. i kno that prep work determines a lot of things so let me kno wat i should b doing...

and lik i said if u want to add some piks by all means go for it!!!

THAKNS IN ADVANCE GUYS...and GIRLS(i kno ur out there somewhere)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice= Dont....
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
Advice= Dont....
lol sry bro..theres no talking me outta this. i kno this my be "rice-ish" but watever. ive seen it done 50,000,000,000 times in red black and silver/aluminum and ppl go ape **** over it...but ive never seen in blue. im tired of my boring *** interior

but out of respect/curiosity wats ur reason for the no?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Launching!

im doing mine black and red, panels will be black with speaker cages being red and the face plate console will be red and along with the shifter console..

Just clean it up and sand it down with like 400 one or two passes then use duplicolor adhesion promoter then lay your primer and you can wet sand with 1000 or even 1200 then apply the base paint and clear and it should come out amazing... this is the approach im taking, they dont get much abuse and arent in the elements of bad weather so you should be fine
Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Blue? I just dont see how it wont be gawdy looking... However, if you do manage to pull this off, I will be the first to congratulate you.... if you ask me, you would be better off wrapping the panels in marine vinyl rather than painting them... give it a shot, I hope it works out for you...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

it's not an F-body, but here's a pic of my truck interior pieces.
these are sanded smooth & painted.

clean good with warm soapy water
rinse well
80 grit
adhesion promoter
prime
180 grit
prime
220 grit
prime
320 grit
prime
paint
600 clear
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

I did mine in gloss black and it came out really good. I just sanded, primed (plastic compatible), base coated and clear coated (polyurethane). I did not use spray can. I hear you about wanting to cover it up. My console was fading to a greenish color - I had 3 different shades of gray plastic trim pieces. Had to be done.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM Graphics
it's not an F-body, but here's a pic of my truck interior pieces.
these are sanded smooth & painted.
That color would b perfect!! Where did u get it and wat is it!!!!

Blue? I just dont see how it wont be gawdy looking... However, if you do manage to pull this off, I will be the first to congratulate you.... if you ask me, you would be better off wrapping the panels in marine vinyl rather than painting them... give it a shot, I hope it works out for you...
I would love to do vinyl...but I'm ballin on a budget bro lol so I'm trying to make it look as good as it can til I can start making real money I'm never getting rid of this car so I'll have all the time in the world to do stuff with ithow much would the vinyl go for anyway?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Oh and just wondering wat would happen if u just primed and didn't sand prior to cuz I might have done that to two of my pieces b4 I posted on here lol
Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Another "Don't paint your interior" here. Gaudy, tacky, and cheap. If you want brilliant interior, buy a different car. The plastic in these cars is cheap to begin with, Painting it only makes it look worse IMO.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Well the next cart a plan on buying is a 03 bmw m3...I'm not touching that at all
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

the stuff Ive used is marine vinyl, its got a uv protectant already in it... looks like leather and feels like it too... I cant remember the price but it was something like $20 a yard but dont quote me on that...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Lol I won't quote u but I will def look for it
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt do it but whatever makes you happy, some trim done might look good but i wouldnt go overboard, imo less is more, just make sure you take every step, something done wrong will result in a real shitty job
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Ima work on some pieces this weekend and ill post up pics in the appearance thread. Im gonna test out how it looks with duplicolor perfect match (the nbm color) and if i'm not feeling it I'll go with a Lil subtler of a blue.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Advice= Dont....
This x1,000,0000
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I've never seen painted interior parts that didn't make me . If changing anything with the interior, why not get tan interior parts? Looks good and not cheap like paint.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're highlighting all the 'shitty' interior pieces by painting them. It'll stick out more and look even worse than before.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advice= Dont....
Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Another "Don't paint your interior" here. Gaudy, tacky, and cheap. If you want brilliant interior, buy a different car. The plastic in these cars is cheap to begin with, Painting it only makes it look worse IMO.
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i wouldnt do it but whatever makes you happy, some trim done might look good but i wouldnt go overboard, imo less is more, just make sure you take every step, something done wrong will result in a real shitty job
Originally Posted by chaman
This x1,000,0000
Originally Posted by why87
I've never seen painted interior parts that didn't make me . If changing anything with the interior, why not get tan interior parts? Looks good and not cheap like paint.
Originally Posted by Conrad
You're highlighting all the 'shitty' interior pieces by painting them. It'll stick out more and look even worse than before.
Please listen to this advice. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

The only way color on the interior panels works is if it is a custom interior. If you just paint random stock stuff it will look like ****.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Launching!

If you're going to do it, do it right. DO NOT use brake cleaner or alchohol for cleaning lmfao... it leaves a residue. Use wax and grease remover.

Best way to do it would be to follow basic painting rules with a few tweaks. If you want a totally smooth surface it's going to take a hell of a lot of work to get the textured surface smoothed out, but if not it should be easy.

Remove all pieces
Scuff with red scotch brite pad. When you think you've scuffed enough, scuff more.
CLEAN thoroughly with wax & grease remover.
WIPE off wax & grease remover with a lint/particulate free cloth, do not let it just dry.
Tape/mask off desired areas.
I suggest using adhesion promoter on everything, as plastic does not accept primer/paint well, even if it's "plastic primer". Trust me.
Prime with filler primer, start with light coats then move to medium coats. If you are using cans make sure you are generous with plenty of coats as the can junk is VERY thin and you will need to sand after priming.
Sand primer LIGHTLY w/ 320 or slightly higher grit sandpaper to remove orange peel / inconsistencies. Be careful not to burn through.
Lightly clean w/ a damp microfiber. You may use wax and grease remover, but DO NOT rub hard as it may remove primer.
Once dry and between all coats wipe surface with tack cloth -I use "crystal tack cloth" - this will absorb dust ect from the finish and will promote a great end result.
Move to paint, get coverage moving from light tack coats, to medium, end with 1 slightly heavier coat, again wiping with tack cloth between coats and after end coat before clear.
Move to clear, same process. Everything from a can is thin so be generous.
Wet sand if you want (recommended) otherwise you're done.

I HIGHLY recommend using a gun for any painting project.. it's not necessary but canned anything is just junk... there are a rare few quality can primers/paints/clears.

Quick Reply: custom painting interior...advice?