Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lost in trying to choose materials needed

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lost in trying to choose materials needed

Ok so here's the deal. My front bumper is in shitty condition and will be replaced by a trans am bumper once I get the support accessories for it. I also need to replace my rear bumper with a TA bumper.

For the TA rear bumper, I bought one from a member on here two weeks ago, bare, unfinished, no paint, no primer, nothin'. I'd like to start gathering materials to prep/paint it as needed, but I'm clueless when it comes to the popular brands and types of CC needed and what not. Factory red WA-8774 color FWIW.

What all do I need to paint my rear bumper? Do I need to sand the bare unfinished surface for any reason? Primer? If so, what kind of primer? What brand of paint should I look into? What clear coat should I go with as well, something that is similar to the factory CC would be nice. It doesn't need to be $300 for a pint of high quality show car CC, but I would like something as good, if not better than factory, if at all possible.

I know this thread is probably a stupid one, and it sounds like I'm asking to be spoon fed, but I really have tried to research this as best as I could, and I appreciate your time!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your bumpers are down to bare plastic, smooth them over with some 500-600grit, use a plastic adhesive promoter like Bull dog( spray can)then primer( you can also get some plastic cleaner if it's in your budget to wipe off beforehand).2-3 coats of primer.
Wet sand primer with 500-600 wet/dry and red scuff in the crevasses and edges.
For a decent budget paint use nasson or similar brand base and clear.more costly brands you can get spies hecker, sherwin Williams, ppg, and dupont( Nasson is duponts "cheaper" brand),but all the brands above have a cheaper brand also.
Keep in mind red paint is usually higher. You can also look at single stage for slightly cheaper.
2-4 coats of base and 2 coats of clear.
All this assuming you have the equiptment to do it, like air compressor and spray guns.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sinister nailed it but make sure you have a water filter on the airline and personally I'm not a fan of single stage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost in trying to choose materials needed