Search

Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

removing tailight tint

Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default removing tailight tint

Friend of mine took her 04 jetta to some guy to have her tailights tinted. Despite what i told her she went through with it and naturally the guy did a **** poor job. Looks awful and its way too dark. Is there anyway to get this **** off without damaging the lense? I dont want someone to slam into the back of her and say its her fault because you cant make out the tailights. I mean in the day time you can barely see them at all. Idk what the guy used im assuming vht.

2002 Trans Am Ws-6 M6:
Bolt-on's-Monster-Tick-UMI-Moser
k_garretson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

you can use heat gun.start heating it and start pulling it.the glue what sucks.after removing all the tint,clean the light with like prep solvent to get rid most of the glue.then wet sand it with 1500 and then buff it out.i removed it for friend of mine on 350z.the glue messed up the clear-coat.so i had to re-clear his light.after you buff it and you still see little cracks everywhere means the clear is cracked.
98camarols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 27

you can also use gasoline thats what i did to mine
02CamZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

you said vht.. assuming its the spray tint? i used laquer thinner, worked fine
critical.in.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

if its Niteshades, I would sand it off then buff the lights. I sanded mine down to retint them a while back.
On3 NON-AC Kit(76MM, 4" IC), Racetronix 255 w/ Harness, 60IB FIC Injectors, SJM ABS Delete/Line Lock, Griffen Stand up Radiator, performabuilt stage 3, Performabuilt 4000 stall, 3.42 Gears, ported tb, LS6 Intake, HPTuners, Black OE C6 Z06 w/ red stripe, nitto 555 up front, 295/45-17 Mickey Thompson ET Street 2's out back, eibach Pros, KYB AGXs, Full UMI rear suspension.
2008 TBSS
4" FWI, E-Fans, Trans Cooler, SLP Duals, HPTuners, Retrofited Headlights
Striker289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker289 View Post
if its Niteshades, I would sand it off then buff the lights. I sanded mine down to retint them a while back.
Why scratch ur lenses up when you can just wipe it off with some gas/laquer/paint thinner/etc... ?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
On The Tree
1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical.in.ga View Post
Why scratch ur lenses up when you can just wipe it off with some gas/laquer/paint thinner/etc... ?
If you do it with a fine enough sand paper and then clear coat them it will make it like scratches are not even there.

Of course this all depends on whether or not they were sanded to begin with, if not there is no reason that the paint thinner shouldn't work, if so they're going to look pretty bad when the tint comes off. lol

SLP lid, Pacesetter LT's, custom x-pipe, P&P TB, LS6 intake
<a href=http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg487/junior98ta/IMG_6629.jpg target=_blank>http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_6629.jpg</a>

2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Typhoon CAI, ZZP 3 inch downpipe
junior98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior98 View Post
If you do it with a fine enough sand paper and then clear coat them it will make it like scratches are not even there.

Of course this all depends on whether or not they were sanded to begin with, if not there is no reason that the paint thinner shouldn't work, if so they're going to look pretty bad when the tint comes off. lol
Yea I guess if whoever did them, did them right.. they should have scuffed up the plastic before spraying the vht.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 3

what i did to my vht (because it was scuffed prior) was sanded it down with a palm sander and 800 grit, once it was all removed i took to hand sanding my way up to 2000 grit and let them dry, applyed wax and grease remover and about two coats of clear coat. i had to sand mine off to pass inspection so it was temporary. once i had inspection done i resprayed with vht again soo... using the palm sander and then hand sanding my ta tails and marker lights only took a total of about 2 hours to sand, wetsand, then dry, and shoot with clear. not hard to do
1999 Trans Am: SLP lid, pacesetter lt's, MSD wires, TR55 plugs, true dual slp lm2, PP TB,TB coolant bypass, fernco smooth bellow, Ported maf, 305/35/18 nitto nt555r rear tires, fan switch mod, UMI PHB relocation kit, FRA mod, !wire mod, VHT Nightshade tail lights and marker lights, A/C belt delete, LS6 Intake manifold, sjm line lock
bones_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
On The Tree
1991 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to quickkris2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_c View Post
what i did to my vht (because it was scuffed prior) was sanded it down with a palm sander and 800 grit, once it was all removed i took to hand sanding my way up to 2000 grit and let them dry, applyed wax and grease remover and about two coats of clear coat. i had to sand mine off to pass inspection so it was temporary. once i had inspection done i resprayed with vht again soo... using the palm sander and then hand sanding my ta tails and marker lights only took a total of about 2 hours to sand, wetsand, then dry, and shoot with clear. not hard to do
thats why i keep a spare set of lenses

91 camaro RS convertible - sold and miss dearly
86 trans am- lQ4,l92 heads/228r/ls3 intake/t56 -- R.I.P
06 GTO daily driver- LT headers/ pedders suspension/GMM rip shift/ kooks muffler delete
99 silverado 2500- 3in lift 36in military hummer tires
quickkris2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

yea a set of spare lights would be nice... but not worth it to pay 500 for a set of ta lights just to sit around for a once a year inspection... have a few beers and clean up the lights... no problem for me... that just means i get a few more beers when i redo the tint lol
1999 Trans Am: SLP lid, pacesetter lt's, MSD wires, TR55 plugs, true dual slp lm2, PP TB,TB coolant bypass, fernco smooth bellow, Ported maf, 305/35/18 nitto nt555r rear tires, fan switch mod, UMI PHB relocation kit, FRA mod, !wire mod, VHT Nightshade tail lights and marker lights, A/C belt delete, LS6 Intake manifold, sjm line lock
bones_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
1999 Chevrolet Corvette

I poured acetone on my lights and the VHT just ran off, really didn't even have to wipe it lol
2004 ls6 PCV/Valley Cover w/ Mike Norris catch can.
160 Degree Thermostat, Katech belt tensioner
Monster Stage 2 clutch w/ 18lbs flywheel, Tick Master, & MGW short throw.
353rwhp/363rwtq Tuned by Boost Performance
*SOLD*2000 Trans Am WS6*SOLD*
AmarilloWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
410, 91, camaro, gears, removing, s10, tint