Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Not sure where to post this but its on a fbody so it might count. I have surface rust on a couple areas on my car not too bad no real pitting but i was wondering, how would i got about fixing this properly without por-15. The cheap easy way i was thinking was to wire wheel what i can off am basically use rustoleum to cover it. Provided that the finish last the lifetime of the car with rustoleum prevent further rusting?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

what areas on the car ?

Rustoleum is a coating that does not 'bond' to the oxidation(rust) layer and will/does chip. POR15 is a coating that DOES bond to that rust layer.
I've never seen success with Rustoleum.

Last edited by FirstYrLS1Z; 04-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really only two areas. One on the radiator support in front of the battery, i would assume from the battery. And the second area is the passenger side rear seat footwell area underneith the car. This second area seem to be rusting very close to a seem between panels. I want to say this came from when that area flooded with water when my passenger window alignment was off letting in water. Assume i got the rust cleared and only shiney metal was exposed would rustoleum provide enough protection from regular rain water? Could anyone recommend any other products in an aresol can? Im looking for an easy long term fix. Por 15 i suppose will do but the area ill be covering is so small ill be wasting most of the smallest can they sell.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the small POR 15. You'll never know when you'll need it again.

Quick Reply: Rust