Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need advice on how to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on how to proceed

I have a 01 WS6 and tonight i just got done removing the door ding protectors on it. The car is a 2 owner and has 12.5k mi when i bought it. I was told that the car had never had any bodywork done to it.

Now on to the dilemma...
Everything went perfect until i got to the passenger quarter panel (of course i saved that one for last). I took the piece off and as i was cleaning the double sided tape off i noticed that there was a valley where the piece was. It seems that the rear quarter panel has been resprayed with clear-coat and they didn't remove the piece.

This is how it looks.

I need advice on what is the proper way on leveling out the clear. I have a PC and menz sip and 106ff and i have 1K, 1.5k, and 2k wet dry sandpaper. I am pretty proficient with the PC and have taken out 2k sanding marks with it so i am comfortable with sanding.

Should I just sand the whole area till it levels out? should i try by sanding the edges of the outline and see if that does it. Should I get some dupicolor clear and tape off around the valley, spray a couple light coats, and then sand it all smooth.

I just need some direction on how to proceed...

Thanks a lot,
-Brian

Last edited by KenrickCustom; 06-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

You might be able to lightly wet block it with some 1500 and buff it but its not going to go away. To make it look right you would need to block it down, possibly prime that spot if there is multiple cut throughs and then repaint the quarter.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by houseofboost
You might be able to lightly wet block it with some 1500 and buff it but its not going to go away. To make it look right you would need to block it down, possibly prime that spot if there is multiple cut throughs and then repaint the quarter.
Even if it is just a couple coats of clear? It doesnt look like there was any color sprayed it just looks like there was a couple coats of clear. Yo cant feel it with the pad of your finger to well but you can feel it with your finger nail. also its not a line like a tape line it is a gradual slope.

I'm thinking about hitting it with some 1500 and then some 2k and then spraying it with a couple coats of clear and then level it out with 1500 and 2k and then buff. What do you guys think...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

It won't go away, you'll have to do like house of boost stated. I hate it when someone paints over moldings like this when they come off so easy,always causes problems down the road for someone.