Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
While I can get one "like" it for $500 less those are not functional as it stands and ebay hoods always fit for crap. No offense to you but I would rather pony up a few extra for a nicely done hood with what I want and not some slammed out mass market hood.
ram air vents are closed but can be opened for an additional 30.00 to make hood fully functional,
All hoods attach exactly as a factory hood, using OEM hardware.
I have a buddy that got into an accident in his 98 Firebird and when his insurance was fixing it, he got that Superhawk hood and it fits just as good as OEM. Just sayin.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
I can not believe I read this whole thread.
Then don't. Seems fairly simple to me. Unless you actually have something constructive to add?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
I have a buddy that got into an accident in his 98 Firebird and when his insurance was fixing it, he got that Superhawk hood and it fits just as good as OEM. Just sayin.
That is awesome that it fit right out of the box. But those linked hooded will need to be ported ect. I would rather just get one that is done and ready to be bolted on.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take it to a reputable body shop. Explain what you want done and they can do it. Spoiler, mirrors, front and read bumper covers, and belt moldings on the doors will be the things that need to be removed unless of course you want the jams painted as well. Then you will have to have the doors taken off. Lots of stuff under the hood can be painted without removing anything since it will just be paint and not cleared.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbdy4life
Just take it to a reputable body shop. Explain what you want done and they can do it. Spoiler, mirrors, front and read bumper covers, and belt moldings on the doors will be the things that need to be removed unless of course you want the jams painted as well. Then you will have to have the doors taken off. Lots of stuff under the hood can be painted without removing anything since it will just be paint and not cleared.
That will also cost you a fortune. My Dad got his 1970 Chevelle SS professionally painted, it took all Winter and most of the Spring to get it done, they painted EVERYTHING that was white, silver. They charged him 8 grand... it definitive looks great though, here's some pictures.

New paint job-tlnxx.jpg
New paint job-gmmki.jpg
New paint job-icsgu.jpg

Car after it was painted, anyone selling stock SS rims lol, let me know, he's been looking for a nice set.
New paint job-khbf2.jpg

Last edited by xBrandonx; 07-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
That will also cost you a fortune. My Dad got his 1970 Chevelle SS professionally painted, it took all Winter and most of the Spring to get it done, they painted EVERYTHING that was white, silver. They charged him 8 grand... it definitive looks great though, here's some pictures.

Car after it was painted, anyone selling stock SS rims lol, let me know, he's been looking for a nice set.
That is a very nice chevelle. I mean VERY nice.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

8 grand for the chevelle is understandable since im sure alot of the moldings were replaced, plus all the body work i can see that had been done is very costly as well. However i assume that what he is describing shouldnt cost him but around $3500. Could be nore or less, thats just ballpark. I did the same to my car which had 190kand on it and a few previous owners. From what i noticed, it had never been in a wreck or painted over. The car looked like crap. And with all the body work and paint i spent about $500. But i also work in a paint shop so i have an idea of what to do exactly.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I don't think it is necessary to take the car apart to repaint it the same color or any color in that matter unless you have the coin and time to do it.
When I painted my Firebird burnt orange I just took off the all the ground effects and some of the major body parts and it came out great.
I did have a friend paint it who had a lot of experience so that helped out a bit.
I would just take it to someone you trust and tell them what you want done and they will take care of you.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have time/skills/tools.
Its not hard to take the complete drivetrain out.

You can take the entire interior out in 3-4 hours with basic hand tools.

At the same time, keep in mind that body shops that do quality paint jobs, also are good at achieving a show car finish to semi disassembelled(spelling?) car.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WingsFan79
I don't think it is necessary to take the car apart to repaint it the same color or any color in that matter unless you have the coin and time to do it.
When I painted my Firebird burnt orange I just took off the all the ground effects and some of the major body parts and it came out great.
I did have a friend paint it who had a lot of experience so that helped out a bit.
I would just take it to someone you trust and tell them what you want done and they will take care of you.
What major body parts did you take off? My side skirts are warps which is one of the things I wanted to work with the shop about. I think the person before me used the pinch weld line to jack the car up on multiple occasions. That was one of the things I wanted to speak with a body shop person about. Thing is, I've never used a body or paint shop here so I really don't know who to trust.

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
if you have time/skills/tools.
Its not hard to take the complete drivetrain out.

You can take the entire interior out in 3-4 hours with basic hand tools.

At the same time, keep in mind that body shops that do quality paint jobs, also are good at achieving a show car finish to semi disassembelled(spelling?) car.
I can disassemble the car if need be but I only want to do it if necessary. I really doubt my car would win any awards so I am not really going for professional show quality. But I would like to be able to pop the hood at a meet/Gathering/Stars and be proud of the coloring that was in there.

Quick Reply: New paint job