Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New paint job

I plan on getting the car painted in the next couple years since when I bought it there were some scratches down to the metal. Would it be better for me to do a frame off paint job or can most places today get into the nooks and cranies well?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what you mean by FRAME OFF but you should def take the rear spoiler off. would be good ideal to remove front bumper cover as well its a lot easier to paint off the car.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rck2004
not sure what you mean by FRAME OFF but you should def take the rear spoiler off. would be good ideal to remove front bumper cover as well its a lot easier to paint off the car.
A frame off paint job would be me pulling the entire drivetrain and interior before it gets painted so it is essentially a shell.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Damn, you are talking about alot of work! sounds like a frame off restoration. I dont think it is necessary unless that is what you are trying to do.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rck2004
Damn, you are talking about alot of work! sounds like a frame off restoration. I dont think it is necessary unless that is what you are trying to do.
Exactly. It IS alot of work. Which is why I am asking opinions before I commit. I generally just want the car to look nice with a clean engine bay and the insides of the doors to look clean as well. It was much easier to do a frame off when I was running classic cars, haha.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the time, tools and the money, I'd say go for it, upgrade that hood while your doing it though
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
If you have the time, tools and the money, I'd say go for it, upgrade that hood while your doing it though
I plan on getting a suncoast creations raptor with extractors seen here http://suncoastcreations.com/a-p-f-3...ood-28003.html

Before paint.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

I am asking budget wise. I know the BEST way is frame off. But for someone that is budget minded... which is the best band for buck
Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I plan on getting a suncoast creations raptor with extractors seen here http://suncoastcreations.com/a-p-f-3...ood-28003.html

Before paint.
Not saying that's a bad hood but you can get one like it for 500 dollars less here

WS6 Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-9...item3a77602aba

Superhawk Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-9...item51a0515b08
Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
Not saying that's a bad hood but you can get one like it for 500 dollars less here

WS6 Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-9...item3a77602aba

Superhawk Hood - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-9...item51a0515b08
While I can get one "like" it for $500 less those are not functional as it stands and ebay hoods always fit for crap. No offense to you but I would rather pony up a few extra for a nicely done hood with what I want and not some slammed out mass market hood.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Launching!

I might have missed it, but you never stated if you are going the original factory color or something different. If it were me, doing the same color, I'd leave the interior and engine...but then again, depends on if you wanted a perfect car with an undercarriage you can eat off of.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
I might have missed it, but you never stated if you are going the original factory color or something different. If it were me, doing the same color, I'd leave the interior and engine...but then again, depends on if you wanted a perfect car with an undercarriage you can eat off of.
I plan on staying the factory bright red. I am only 1 of 2 that I have ever seen in the area this color and I like the difference. I have some spots in the bay that are worn bare ect, which is why I asked. Can you just mark off places to be painted and have stuff touched up or are you looking at an all or nothing job?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

No need to go all crazy with frame off, I have seen many perfect paint jobs with minor panel removal. Basically spoiler, ground effects, taillights, fog lights etc. Just take your time with the masking tape to prevent overspray.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Seems like you answered your own question, you cant be on a budget and do a restoration, you know which is the best "band for your buck". I dont think I would be counting pennies when it comes to a paint job though. A buddy went cheap route and the clear pealed off the whole front half of his car 2 years later.

I dont like the term frame off when its a unibody car. Only reason for doing a resto is if the car is in that bad of shape, which I doubt or you are going to another color which you arent. Just go to a good shop and get it painted.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
No need to go all crazy with frame off, I have seen many perfect paint jobs with minor panel removal. Basically spoiler, ground effects, taillights, fog lights etc. Just take your time with the masking tape to prevent overspray.
I have several spots in the engine bay that need repainted, is that do able with an entire car?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrob56
Seems like you answered your own question, you cant be on a budget and do a restoration, you know which is the best "band for your buck". I dont think I would be counting pennies when it comes to a paint job though. A buddy went cheap route and the clear pealed off the whole front half of his car 2 years later.

I dont like the term frame off when its a unibody car. Only reason for doing a resto is if the car is in that bad of shape, which I doubt or you are going to another color which you arent. Just go to a good shop and get it painted.
I will not be looking for a picture perfect restoration when I have it painted. It won't be show quality since this is not a showable car unfortunately. What I want to fix however are all the blemishes that are present when I bought the car. Many are to the metal/fiberglass.

I am sorry if frame off is not accurate for these cars. The last time I needed a full body paint was a 69 Charger and it was definately off it's frame.

So, even if there are scratches down to the metal you say any good body shop can fix and make smooth again?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I have several spots in the engine bay that need repainted, is that do able with an entire car?
Yes but kinda depends on where? you can dissasemble everything forward of radiator support and put get everything off the shock towers and everything you can see would be painted.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you got the tools and time to disassemble the car, do it. Have them paint it only and you do the reassembly. On my 97 I removed the drivetrain and interior. The painter removed the doors, locks, bumpers, fenders, side morrors, door handles, back glass from deck, etc. Next time I will tear more of it apart and do more of the reassembly to save me more money. My 97 is more of a "perfect weather only" car that I wanted a drop dead gorgeous paint job on and I got it. It wasn't cheap though and I did need alittle body work which factored into the price.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not believe I read this whole thread.

I would take the OP's car to a good body shop have have it painted. Done.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
I can not believe I read this whole thread.

I would take the OP's car to a good body shop have have it painted. Done.
this

Quick Reply: New paint job