Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

2002 Camaro Ttop Conversion

Old 11-08-2023, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 Camaro Ttop Conversion

I am doing a TTop conversion into my 02 LS1 Camaro. I have read a ton of the posts on here about the conversion, unfortunately most of the photos have been killed by photobucket.

I have a few questions on the swap. I have photos from the ttop donor car I went to take parts from and I did take some measurements, but does anyone have the following:

1. Measurements on where to cut the top
  2. If I reuse my sail panel, how are guys finishing the inside edge of the sail panel?
  3. All I can find for aftermarket sail panels are ones that are 600$ or so, but not sure on the fitment, and not sure about being able to place it perfectly since I kind of need to reference the panel to cut the ttops in initially.
  4. Is there anything special I need to know about putting the ttop weather stripping onto the windshield to get it to seal properly.
  5. Any tips and tricks folks can offer- pictures would be especially helpful of any trouble areas.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody?
Old 11-19-2023, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

For those who have done this conversion, am I just notching slits in the side and bending the metal up to create a channel for the weather stripping for both the front and back here? I am also trying to determine how far back I need to cut and what exactly I need to drill out with the weld cutter bit?

Old 11-20-2023, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
I am doing a TTop conversion into my 02 LS1 Camaro. I have read a ton of the posts on here about the conversion, unfortunately most of the photos have been killed by photobucket.

I have a few questions on the swap. I have photos from the ttop donor car I went to take parts from and I did take some measurements, but does anyone have the following:
  1. Measurements on where to cut the top
  2. If I reuse my sail panel, how are guys finishing the inside edge of the sail panel?
  3. All I can find for aftermarket sail panels are ones that are 600$ or so, but not sure on the fitment, and not sure about being able to place it perfectly since I kind of need to reference the panel to cut the ttops in initially.
  4. Is there anything special I need to know about putting the ttop weather stripping onto the windshield to get it to seal properly.
  5. Any tips and tricks folks can offer- pictures would be especially helpful of any trouble areas.
No worries, I have done this conversion on one of my old cars and helped a few friends with theirs. I'm about to do it on my 93 Formula this winter as well. I'll help as much as I can.

1.) I never really did too much EXACT measuring, I just made sure to leave more material than I needed so I could bend the metal up and form the rest of the lip for the weatherstripping to rest on:

2.) I only reused my sail panel on my 99, on my friends cars (and on my 93 that I'm about to do) I removed the whole roof skin and swapped on one from a donor 93-mid 98 car that was repainted. On my 99, I just tried to sand the line that I cut as straight as possible and then painted the edge black to match the roof. I never liked how it looked with the roof off, hence replacing it on the other cars.

3.) If you can, get a donor panel from a 93-mid 98 car. I see you're up north, it may be easier in the summer months when the glue is more malleable. Some wire saws make the job go relatively easy, you just have to take your time and get into a couple different yoga positions to avoid cutting the panel, haha! But as far as needing one for reference, you should be fine. Everything is adjustable, you'll see once you start getting it together.

4.) I always use the 3m black weather strip adhesive in the corners and never had an issue.

5.) Honestly, it's pretty easy to figure out once you get the roof off and start cutting. Use your weatherstrip as a guide when forming the channel ends, I usually go on and off with them multiple times before I'm happy and start the body work. When you're done, get the windshield replaced with the proper windshield rubber for T-Top cars. It makes a world of difference on the looks imo. On my 99 I tried to cut the black metal trim piece to approximate the look of the molding for T-Top cars and I wasn't happy with it.

For those who have done this conversion, am I just notching slits in the side and bending the metal up to create a channel for the weather stripping for both the front and back here? I am also trying to determine how far back I need to cut and what exactly I need to drill out with the weld cutter bit?

This is how I shaped my corners:

Take your time and do a lot of test fitting with your weatherstip and T-Tops, you'll notice when it all starts to fit and feel nice.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks those pictures are way clearer than what’s out there.

what area are you using the spot weld cutter on and when I see guides talking about patching all the holes in the existing roof so water doesn’t leak, what holes are they referring to?
Old 11-20-2023, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Also, what is this screw screwed into? I don’t see any holes in mine for a bolt?

Old 11-21-2023, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks those pictures are way clearer than what’s out there.

what area are you using the spot weld cutter on and when I see guides talking about patching all the holes in the existing roof so water doesn’t leak, what holes are they referring to?
I didn't use a spot weld cutter, I would just take my cutoff wheel and make small cuts in the shape of a square around the spot welds and then pop the unneeded piece off. The holes they mention are all of the spots where the hardtop metal roof skin need to sealed, like so for up front:

Here is what my front corners looked like before primer and paint:

I used Bondo Metal Reinforced Filler.

Also, what is this screw screwed into? I don’t see any holes in mine for a bolt?

They aren't there, you will have to add them. I lined the weatherstipping up and then drilled a small pilot hole. I kept the factory style bolts and they went right in and snugged up tight.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I'll try and get together a quick guide on how to rebuild the lock cylinders in the T-Tops so that they match the factory keys. I have done that to all the cars I have worked on so I don't need an extra T-Top key, they work like factory. I have one lock built and installed in one of the T-Tops for my 93 and I am going to finish up the other one soon and install it into the second T-Top. I just moved a couple weeks ago and all of my garage is still at the old house which is about 40 miles away, so it's been a pain trying to work on stuff lately, lol.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Also, I'll try and get together a quick guide on how to rebuild the lock cylinders in the T-Tops so that they match the factory keys. I have done that to all the cars I have worked on so I don't need an extra T-Top key, they work like factory. I have one lock built and installed in one of the T-Tops for my 93 and I am going to finish up the other one soon and install it into the second T-Top. I just moved a couple weeks ago and all of my garage is still at the old house which is about 40 miles away, so it's been a pain trying to work on stuff lately, lol.
that would be much appreciated! I actually was going to see about dropping the ttops to a lock smith as one of the locks is busted.

In definitely might have a bunch more questions for you as I go along through this. Hoping to get some time this week to throw a couple hours at it
Old 11-27-2023, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Do we have to remove this little corner hump in the front corners?

Old 11-28-2023, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I had the ***** to tackle this. When I bought that car I didn't know I would have it for 23yrs and in all those years I regret not getting the t-tops.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do we have to remove this little corner hump in the front corners?

That is the front corner, correct? Yes, you will want to cut a slit and hammer it down. Here are some pics from Gripenfenlter's guide:

And here are the pictures from his guide for the rear:

Old 11-30-2023, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jolly
Wish I had the ***** to tackle this. When I bought that car I didn't know I would have it for 23yrs and in all those years I regret not getting the t-tops.
It's honestly not that terrible of a job once you start getting into it. If you have a garage or somewhere covered to store it while you work, you can take as much time as you need and go at whatever pace makes you comfortable. When you start digging into it, you'll see that GM really designed the car to have T-Tops so a lot of the work is done, you just have to do some of the clean up around the corners. The mounting spots are all there for the latch hardware to slide into and you can transfer over all of the T-Top specific factory items as well. I sat on the edge of doing it or not for a long time and once I did the conversion it was one of those "Why was I so scared?" kind of moments. I did my first conversion outside my parent's house in the driveway over a weekend and even at that fast pace it wasn't all that bad. I've helped a few friends do theirs and always went at their pace. Now I'll be doing my next one in my garage and will likely take a lot more time to try and make it as perfect as I can.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

This kind of looks ugly as hell, but I tried to make small slits and use a hammer and punch massage the humps down and level it out. I figure the ugly will be hidden with fiberglass. I want to try to avoid rivets if I can as you will see those.

Hopefully I am still on the right track here. This is the back…

Old 12-02-2023, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

This is the front:

Old 12-02-2023, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

I am thinking that my next cut is this yellow line straight down. Then I can start fitment of the gasket and place the brackets into place.

Does that make sense? It’s hard to see in some of the old photos.

Also, is there a proper procedure for how to adjust the ttop brackets so that you get a nice tight seal and engagment? Is there torque specs on the bolts?

Old 12-03-2023, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Weather stripping seems to be fitting pretty decent. Might have a few more spots to adjust. But this back gap is concerning to me. Shouldn’t the ttop be sitting on this lip? I feel like the ttop needs to push back some? Doesn’t appear I can do that though?

I have a bit of play up and down on the top, but I was thinking I still need to trim a touch more off the channel, but maybe not… need to figure out how to adjust the ttop brackets properly… don’t mine the gap at the windshield, I have the windshield weather stripping off

Old 12-03-2023, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

This is what the front corner weather stripping looks like currently

Old 12-04-2023, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

This kind of looks ugly as hell, but I tried to make small slits and use a hammer and punch massage the humps down and level it out. I figure the ugly will be hidden with fiberglass. I want to try to avoid rivets if I can as you will see those.

Hopefully I am still on the right track here. This is the back…
I think it's starting to take shape! There are many different ways to get the shape you're looking for and you are right in that your fiberglass / filler will clean up a lot of the ugliest stuff.

This is the front:
Looking good so far!

I am thinking that my next cut is this yellow line straight down. Then I can start fitment of the gasket and place the brackets into place.

Does that make sense? It’s hard to see in some of the old photos.

Also, is there a proper procedure for how to adjust the ttop brackets so that you get a nice tight seal and engagment? Is there torque specs on the bolts?
Yes, that would be a good spot to cut. Here are some adjustment tips from the 1994 Factory Service Manual:

Weather stripping seems to be fitting pretty decent. Might have a few more spots to adjust. But this back gap is concerning to me. Shouldn’t the ttop be sitting on this lip? I feel like the ttop needs to push back some? Doesn’t appear I can do that though?

I have a bit of play up and down on the top, but I was thinking I still need to trim a touch more off the channel, but maybe not… need to figure out how to adjust the ttop brackets properly… don’t mine the gap at the windshield, I have the windshield weather stripping off
That doesn't look too far off from what mine looked like:

I'll have to look in some of my old folders and see if I can find any more close-up.

This is what the front corner weather stripping looks like currently
I think you're on the right track, it's coming together nicely!
Old 12-05-2023, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks! Is it ok to have a gap between the glass and back sail panel? Or is the glass supposed to sit right on top?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Ttop Conversion