Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

raising SS cowl

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Default raising SS cowl

Picked up an SS hood to clear my intake setup and it won't fit. I've already chopped out as much as I can to clear but its still 2" too low just behind the SS scoop.

Stock hood won't work because I need to cut out so much the hood basically folds in the middle. Harwood cowl hood was too low and had weird bends that wouldn't line up right. SS hood lines up perfect but needs to be raised in the middle section.

So my options right now are
1. swap the elbow that's hitting for a low profile piece but that's gonna give up too much power, not gonna happen.

2. sell my chopped up SS hood for nothing then buy a 4" cowl hood. This is the 3rd hood I'm chalking up to scrap

3. cut out the middle section of the SS hood, make riser templates, then bond it all together with fiberglass and what not. Essentially making it similar to VFN's SS cowl hood.... but not as pretty.

Anybody done something similar? I imagine its just like grafting any other scoop or cowl on but I have a little building up to do after I cut it out and I need to brace it before cutting out the middle section. Plan is to mark my lines, triple check them, brace the crap out of the hood with 2x4 and 4x4, cut out the center section, use foam supports for shape and height, then glass it all together. Will that even work?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy of mine did it.. I will try and get the information for you tomorrow
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MONSTER SS HOOD FTW! if i had a camaro thats the hood i would use
Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This might help before you going buying the 3in and cutting that up too.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackmaverick
buddy of mine did it.. I will try and get the information for you tomorrow
That would really help. At least let me know what kind of time frame and material cost I'm getting into.

Thanks for the pics of the VFN 3" SS hood fellas. That's pretty much what I have to mold mine after with a few differences. Planning to only raise the scoop section as it needs a couple more inches of clearance where the intake elbow connects to the bellow then 4" intake piping.

Even with the VFN 3" SS hood I'd need to cut out the rear section over the cowl and maybe part of the support behind the scoop opening. Its hard to tell just how much of what part without a side shot. My intake and all sits 5-6" higher than my fender just over the struts
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dafuq lol can you post up some pics of this monster your putting under the hood?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tell me what measurements you need and ill get them for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing special really, just another HKE 408 built to turn 8500+rpm with wet sump Street car btw...

L92 heads worked by Greg Good
L92/LS3 Vic Jr (size is somewhere between LS1 vic jr and super victor)
Accufab 4150
Extreme Velocity intake elbow

Hood is hitting the very end of the elbow at the coupler, very front part of the cut section. I think its right between the strut tops.

The cone filter was just on the elbow to keep crud out in the shop. You see the 4" vent duct that'll be a template for 4" aluminum piping down into the front bumper for my front breather setup. So the front of the hood needs to be cut up just like the rear cowl then aluminum braces will be added in critical areas so it doesn't fold in half haha

Quick Reply: raising SS cowl