Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Satin/Hot Rod black

Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Satin/Hot Rod black

i painted my 3rd gen this color last yr as a quick change because when i bought it, the PO painted it a terrible lime green . so i just threw a cpl coats of hotrod black and now i get more compliments on that car then i do my 4th gen SS for some reason. well, i fell in love with the color and now i want to redo it this spring. im going to wetsand it done, fix some minor spots and respray the whole car. so my question is which is some of the better brands of paint to look at? also someone had told me that there is a 2 stage hotrod black, with a regular black base and a flat clearcoat. has anyone else heard of this?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I painted my 68 Fury with 3 coats of Rustoleum Satin Black and 2 coats of Rustoleum clear and it came out nice.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mainly spray U-tech paint, so far its worked good with everything ive put it on. Also just started using Wanda... pretty good line. As to rather they have hot rod black im not certain but i would think the U-tech line would seeing as they do dive into some custom stuff. If I think about it ill ask when I go to my supplier this weekend.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hey op it sounds like a pretty cool color, upload us some before pics so I can get an idea.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

yes they make a flat clear. you are actually better off going that route. the single stage flat black tends to chalk out over time. if you use the clear you still reduce the uv protection but it does buy you more time. ive also seen a new wax made for flat paints, may wanna look into that also.
as far as brands, if you ask 5 painters you will get 5 answers,lol. just keep in mind you get what ya pay for!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexasTarnation
Hey op it sounds like a pretty cool color, upload us some before pics so I can get an idea.
2000 SS M6

1982 Z28

^ this pic was before i put a 4" cowl hood on it^

^when i got it^
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

The flat clear is good, but its tough to get it even and even tougher if you have to reshoot.

SEM Hotrod black is single stage and its paint not primer so no chalking and no issues. My 50 is shot in it and no fading after 3 years. I grazed the side of my trailer and reshot a running board and you can't tell. I think it is good stuff.

Last edited by AintQik; 02-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Satin/Hot Rod black