Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clearcoating a aluminum block. Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clearcoating a aluminum block. Need help...

Hey guys,

I'm going to be putting my engine back together this wknd and I wanted to clearcoat it before I put it back in.

I've tanked the block and heads already followed by a bath with degreaser and dawn soap. I'm going to follow it up with some brake parts cleaner and finally wash it down again with dawn and my pressure washer.

I've looked at the duplicolor high heat engine clear in the rattle can but it calls for some primer for bare metal. I'm guessing they're talking about etching primer for aluminum. But that would defeat the purpose of clearing the bare aluminum. If I were to coat it with primer then I would have to paint it with aluminum color paint.

Now my question is...who has clearcoated a aluminum block/heads before with good results. Which product did you use?

I really want to clear the block/heads to keep it looking new. Not to mention it would make it easy to clean.

I'm worried about flaking, yellowing, etc.

Please only post if you've tried this yourself, how long it's been and the results you got.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not just take it to a body shop and have it painted silver and cleared. Or have it clear powder coated.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a simple paint job I can do it myself. As a matter of fact I still have plenty of silver and clear left over from paint my car. I just don't want to go through all this trouble and it turning yellow. That's why I'm asking for those with experience. I'm hoping its that easy though.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used clearcoat when painting any of my engines, but I know a few people that have on their SBCs, SBFs, etc. I have seen both Duplicolor and Rustoleum engine clear used, as well as one other I can't remember, and all of them started turning yellow within a year or so. I would personally either paint it with aluminum colored engine enamel (or color of your choice), or just keep polishing it. There's no easy way to keep a bare aluminum engine sparkling clean, sadly.

Quick Reply: Clearcoating a aluminum block. Need help...