Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How hard is it to match Hugger Orange?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to match Hugger Orange?

I've been thinking about putting a CME on my HOSS but want to be able to have the paint match very closely. Is there a certain name brand hugger orange paint that matches better than other brands?

How much should it cost to have a CME rear valence painted?

Thanks,
Derek
Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you go to a paint shop that makes their own paint, they should be able to make you a can of it for pretty cheap that is dead accurate.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
if you go to a paint shop that makes their own paint, they should be able to make you a can of it for pretty cheap that is dead accurate.
Very true! Where I live most shops just order special color I believe. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solid colors are easier to match. Pearls and metallic are where it becomes more difficult to match.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LetsRide
Solid colors are easier to match. Pearls and metallic are where it becomes more difficult to match.
Thanks! Anybody here ever had trouble matching out hugger orange. It's got to be a little difficult when SLP can't even get the SS hood and spoiler to be 100% perfect!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just blend it?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blending is an option but unless the cme is getting getting smoothed into the bumper the color mismatch should be fairly/if not un-noticeable. Being that its located at the bottom of the bumper. If your worried about it not matching then I would blend the paint. That's just me.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Blending IMO would be the safer route if your worried about it not matching you can also take it to a shop, get your paint read, theyll whip ya up a can and your on your way.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Actually orange is EXTREMELY difficult to match perfectly. There are so many different shades of it. Hugger is orange, but so is Hemi and they are TOTALLY different side by side. Make sure when you get your paint mixed they go off THE VIN#. Going off the paint code alone or one of those camera things will probably end up giving you a color that is very close, but a little darker than it should be. I can almost guarantee that if you don't blend the bumper cover, you will see that it doesn't quite match. Orange is a color that shouldn't really be panel painted. I am going through this exact same thing with my car (mine is Hugger Orange too). Someone repainted it at one time, and completely screwed up the color AND the paint job itself. I am probably not even gonna paint my CME valance right away. I figure it'll match the Berger panel if I leave it black. If your gonna have yours painted make sure you take it to a good shop!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LoneGunman
Actually orange is EXTREMELY difficult to match perfectly. There are so many different shades of it. Hugger is orange, but so is Hemi and they are TOTALLY different side by side. Make sure when you get your paint mixed they go off THE VIN#. Going off the paint code alone or one of those camera things will probably end up giving you a color that is very close, but a little darker than it should be. I can almost guarantee that if you don't blend the bumper cover, you will see that it doesn't quite match. Orange is a color that shouldn't really be panel painted. I am going through this exact same thing with my car (mine is Hugger Orange too). Someone repainted it at one time, and completely screwed up the color AND the paint job itself. I am probably not even gonna paint my CME valance right away. I figure it'll match the Berger panel if I leave it black. If your gonna have yours painted make sure you take it to a good shop!!!
I figured Hugger Orange would be really hard to match out. Really dont want to blend anything becuase the cars paint is original. There used to be this hugger z28 at college back in the day that was about 3-4 different shades of orange from where it had been repainted piece by piece. Do you want to sell your CME valence by chance? I'm needing one ASAP PM me if your interested in selling it. Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Derek
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Orange is pretty hard to match. There are alot of hugger Oranges too. They have different paint codes. I used WA-126D on my T/A. It was a 97 Camaro SS color.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

My HOSS only had 2 alternates one was just a little darker. Go to a gm dealer that has a paint shop and they should be able to match it perfectly. I had mine painted and it is perfect
Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3" Sunoco and SS Wing

Paint matched to Hugger Orange through local reputable body shop. Took the paint code to a paint mixer where it was all mixed. I did have him blend on the rear hatch and fenders but woopty doo. Never been able to tell any difference nor can others in person who try to find issues. 99U GM paint code.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

99U is the RPO code for Hugger Orange, not the actual BC/CC #. U 523F is the number the painter needs.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks everybody!

Quick Reply: How hard is it to match Hugger Orange?