Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

self etch primer and black chasis paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default self etch primer and black chasis paint ?

this is for my truck which is about to have the rear frame sand blasted. anybody have recommendations on how to coat it?
was planning on picking up a quart of self etch primer from an auto body store near work, they sell a lot of SEM brand stuff.
for paint the guy doing the blasting said use rustoleum, not sure if any special kind or just the regular quart can from walmart, but he said in his experience that he has a tougher time blasting off rustoleum paint. said forget about por15, years ago it was good but not anymore and i can somewhat attest to that because i had painted a new rear axle with it and did full prep and everything and the por15 scratched right off the axle tubes when on jack stands.
never mind, going with chassis saver.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 07-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could shoot it with a black epoxy, then a coat of black. epoxy will work nice on the bare metal. just my $.02 on the subject.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, i agree with the above, use an epoxy primer. Self etch primer is so old school.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

I know you're not sold on POR15, but I used it on my last semi truck. I bought the truck when it was 3 years old and the factory paint had worn off the frame, suspension, and axles.....so it was all rusted up. I did almost no prep work and the POR15 lasted 5 years of coast to coast all weather abuse with sand, salt, chains, and everything else beating on it. About once a year I had to touch up high wear areas, but all in all it held up fine for me. I laid it down heavy and it took weeks to fully cure.

Van Sickle works pretty good and is cheaper, but it too takes weeks to fully cure.

I've never had much luck with Rustoleum that you buy from Home Depot, Walmart, etc, etc. Maybe they have a professional grade that I don't know about.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Launching!

por 15 is designed to be used over rust. you would need to let your blasted frame get a light coat of rust on it, then spray it on. At work, we actually wash freshly blasted heavy equipment then por it a couple days later. Then top coat with yellow within 24 hours.

Quick Reply: self etch primer and black chasis paint ?