Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Look at it from shop owners perspective on cost. Factoring in the expense of materials, time to tape off car, proper repair procedure, paying employee, shop space, paint and supplies.

400-600 more than in right wheelhouse and the shop that said he wouldn't cut corners is the guy I'd let do my car hands down theres peace of mind to be found in someone who won't do a job half assed.
agreed, but a $200 difference is a big deal for me, so that's why. and again, it's a rocker panel, so a less than perfect job for cheaper wouldn't bother me, you know? Now, the passenger fender? Hell yeah I'll have him do it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
That dent is waaaayyyyyy to deep to just throw some body filler over lol.. That **** would crack extra fast especially in that location and then your back to square 1 but in a even worse spot because now you have a shitty body filler job to clean up. Cleaning up a shitty body filling job is the WORST. A smart body guy wouldn't even consider that until the dent is pulled out quite a bit more.
I assumed everyone knew that, silly me.

OP here is what we did to my previous Camaro, a 1996 Z28. Little fast on the highway by the previous owner and some gnarly dents in this rocker.

Name:  IMG_4242_zpsa56d35d8.jpg
Views: 12224
Size:  56.9 KB

Drilled holes to use our dent puller.
Name:  IMG_4252_zpsa1febc49.jpg
Views: 10660
Size:  66.1 KB

After dent was pulled as close to factory as possible, bondo. Remember you have to sand this crap off one layer at a time until perfect.
Name:  IMG_4254_zpsa16330bb.jpg
Views: 10626
Size:  51.2 KB

Sanded smooth
Name:  IMG_4259_zpsad087810.jpg
Views: 10485
Size:  65.4 KB

Primer
Name:  IMG_4262_zps1d0c9158.jpg
Views: 10779
Size:  60.5 KB

And finally black paint. We used rattle can. I would typically avoid this cheap *** method, but for where the panel is located..it worked out great. Cost less than 50 bucks to fix it.
Name:  IMG_4265_zps9af0ced4.jpg
Views: 10661
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4267_zps5c1a1690.jpg
Views: 10878
Size:  52.8 KB

I would advise something similar either by yourself, friends/family, or a body shop.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I assumed everyone knew that, silly me.

OP here is what we did to my previous Camaro, a 1996 Z28. Little fast on the highway by the previous owner and some gnarly dents in this rocker.

Drilled holes to use our dent puller.

After dent was pulled as close to factory as possible, bondo. Remember you have to sand this crap off one layer at a time until perfect.

Sanded smooth

Primer

And finally black paint. We used rattle can. I would typically avoid this cheap *** method, but for where the panel is located..it worked out great. Cost less than 50 bucks to fix it.

I would advise something similar either by yourself, friends/family, or a body shop.
that looks like a job well done! If I get a hold of a stud gun, I may tackle this project myself. But otherwise, I want to find a place that will basically do what you just described. I may have to travel into the land of Russians in Norhteast Philly....as they tend to do things like that. lol
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Launching!

I think I've reached a conclusion as to what I'm going to do with my rocker panel.

step 1: get Duplicolor's "matched" paint in a spray can
step 2: remove chipped paint, and apply primer/whatever so paint sticks
step 3: use clear plasti-dip as a protective coating over the afflicted area.
step 4: Fogettaaaboutttitttt and worry about more important things, haha

Quick Reply: can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?